The aim of this course is to provide the students with the skills and tools to understand how agro food value chains approach the challenge of competitiveness. Particular attention will be paid to the sustainability of global value chains.
Basic knowledge of microeconomics
Course contents summary
The course addresses the topic of the Value chains (VCs), with particular reference to the agri-food systems.
The evolution of this concept and the main tools for the analysis of VCs will be taught.
- Main trends in today agri food systems
- Value chains: definitions and historical backgrounds
- Value chains governance and upgrading
- Case studies
- Knowledge will be transferred through lectures and classes kept by guest lecturers.
- Ability to apply analytical methods will be provided with group works and individual exercises.
- Ability of making judgment will be encouraged by group works and discussion in the virtual class.
Assessment methods and criteria
Written examination (75%) and assessment of a group work (25%).
The honors are awarded to those students who fully comply with the requirements. In addition, they have to demonstrate a systematic knowledge of the topic, an excellent ability to apply the acquired knowledge and autonomy of judgment.
The final grade will be the average of the written examination and group works/exercises. It will be expressed out of thirty.
The activities will take place in presence and they will be also recorded.