Learning outcomes of the course unit
In an ever increasing number of contexts it is advisable that a graduate in economic disciplines is able to use quantitative measurements and tools. The main objective of the course is to allow the student to "take possession" of these tools in order to separate the structure of a problem from the context so that he/she can understand and communicate as effectively as possible what is needed to take informed and justified economic decisions.
Furthermore, at the end of the course:
- as far as concerns knowledge and understanding: the student should understand and properly treat the main models presented in the course;
- as far as concerns applying knowledge and understanding: the student should be able to solve practical problems;
- as far as concerns making judgements: the student should show good skills in making judgement, developing reasoning and critical capacities;
- as far as concerns communication skills: the student should clearly communicate what he/she has learned;
- as far as concerns learning skills: the student should update and consolidate his/her quantitative knowledge and relate this knowledge and competence to other disciplines in the degree course.
Furthermore, the student should be able to formalize in quantitative terms some economic problems, by individuating initial data and the more adequate mathematical instruments in order to obtain an efficient and rigorous solution and to provide an economic interpretation of the obtained results.
First and second order equations and inequalities.
Course contents summary
Linear functions and models.
Linear systems and matrices. Economic applications.
Differential Calculus and economic applications.
Integrals. Economic applications.
Functions in several variables.
S. Waner, S.R. Costenoble, Strumenti quantitativi per la gestione aziendale, Apogeo, Milano, 2019.
Oral and practical lessons.
The sessions will be online through Teams and Elly. In particular, some lessons will be in streaming and the other ones will be published on Elly platform.
1) Knowledge and understanding: teacher-fronted sessions.
2) Applying knowledge and understanding: practice sessions.
3) Making judgements: teacher-fronted sessions and practice sessions.
4) Communication skills: practice sessions.
5) Learning skills: teacher-fronted sessions and practice sessions.
Assessment methods and criteria
Written examination online through Teams e Elly.
The exam will be a multiple choice test.
During the exam, the student can use a scientific calculator. Graphic calculators, smartphone, tablet, laptops and smartwatch, different from the machine used for the exam, are not allowed.
The knowledge and the skill in comprehension will be tested through three questions about elementary mathematics (1), three short problems (2) and three theoretic/practical questions (3).
The quality of learning, the skill in the applications of the concepts and the independence of judgement will be verified through the economic problems (2). In order to solve such a problem, the student will individuate an opportune mathematical model, by obtaining the solution through the analytical tools presented in Course.
The knowledgee of an appropriate technical language will be checked through the three questions (3) about the theoretic subjects with applications of the Course.
(2): 15 or 16/30
(3): 12 or 13/30
The teacher reserves the right to complete the exam with an oral test, if necessary.
The examinations will be through Teams, Elly and Respondus.
The guidelines are published at the addresses:
Before the examination, the student wil send, through OneDrive, his/her identity document and will declare, through Elly, to accept the Honour Code and the video-recording conditions. The student will not effect the above operations will not attend the exam.
If the exams will be in presence of teachers and students (depending on the devolopment of pandemic), the test will consist in 7 open questions (90 minutes).
The University will send to the students an email message to their University email address with the result of the exam (through Essetre system). The students can reject the result in a week, through an online procedure, clearly described in the message.
The teachers could modify some indications, according to the evolution of pandemic situation and to possible technical problems.
The Syllabus, the detailed program and the previous exam tests are uploaded on Elly.