COMMERCIAL LAW (ADVANCED COURSE) - DD
Learning outcomes of the course unit
a) Knowledge and understanding:
- Extraordinary transactions that can be put in place to realize the great
business strategies, the potential of the different solutions and the
- possible measures to reduce the risks;
- the corporate governance;
- the strengths and weaknesses of each of
them, the powers and limits of the powers of the directors and the
- the instruments available to the shareholders to
determine the corporate governance or to cope with the “hegemony” of
the reference entity;
- the overall picture of the institutes associated with the crises;
solutions, compositions, limitations, and potential conditions;
proceedings, assumptions, procedure and closing;
b) Ability to apply knowledge: the student will be able to identify the legal
framework applicable to different situations and the strategic options that
the company intends to put in place, identifying the legal instruments
used. The students will know full potential, constraints and risks, and can
suggest the one which fits;
c) Making judgments: the student will be able to successfully adopt the
major corporate decisions in both the physiological stage of the life of the
company, both in the pathological.
d) Communications skills: at the end of the course, the student will have
acquired interpersonal skills and communication skills in effectively and
in a language appropriate legal. The acquisition of communication skills is
also realized through active student participation in tutorials and
seminars. At the time of final examination is assessed also participation
of communications skills.
e) Ability to learn: the course aims to foster student learning through a
correct approach to the study of legal disciplines, through the
examination of legislation, case law and contracts and their guided
Basic knowledge of civil and commercial law.
Course contents summary
The advances course in commercial law is divided into two modules: a)
company law advanced; b) the right of the business crisis. The first
module in subdivided into two parts: the first devoted to the study of
extraordinary transactions; the second devoted to the analysis of the
governance models proposed for corporations.
First module – first part: extraordinary operations:
- takeovers: the transfer of the ongoing business (and contribution), the
transfer of sfares/units;
- amendments to the paragraph and withdrawal;
- the increase/decrease of the share capital;
- the trasformation;
- the merger;
- the demerger;
- the liquidation of the company.
First module – second part: the corporate governance:
- the concept of corporate governance, applicable principles in s.p.a. and
- the traditional (or latin) model (the directors, the auditors, the external
auditors, the proceedings ex art. 2409 c.c.);
- the two-tier model;
- the one-tier model;
- the governance and group;
- the governance of s.r.l.;
- the governance of cooperatives.
Second module: the crisis of enterprise:
- insolvency proceedings and individual enforcement;
- bankruptcy proceedings: subjects; requirements for the insolvency
declaration; judgment for the opening of the proceedings; bankruptcy
declaration and oppositions; bodies; effects of insolvency declaration
(with respect to the debtor and to the creditors); pending relationships;
clawback action; managing and liquidation of the assets; proof of claim;
closing and re-opening of the proceedings; bankrupcty composition with
creditors; freshing; bankruptcy of the companies and of the shareholders;
- preventive composition with creditor: subjects; requirements;
proceedings; effects; termination and voidance; subsequent bankruptcy;
dismissive composition and composition in continuity; the precomposition
- alternative forms of crisis management; certified plans and debts
- the compulsory liquidation;
- extraordinary administration of large insolvent enterprises and the
1. The provisions of c.c. and t.u.f. relating to the governance of
corporations and the extraordinary transactions and bankruptcy law and
other laws relating to business crisis.
2. For the preparation of the first part, students will be allowed to use one of the
- G.F. CAMPOBASSO,
Diritto commerciale, UTET, Torino, volume 2 “Diritto delle società”, last
edition available (save for capp. I, II, III, IV sezz. A e B, VI, XIII, XVII e XXI), or
- M. CIAN, DIRITTO COMMERCIALE, volume 3, Diritto delle società, Giappichelli, last
edition available (save for §§ 1-9, 10-I, 10-III, 23, 24, 25-I, 29 e 39);
provided updated and complete edition (abstracts are not
recommended). The parts to be studied are those related to the content described above; the study of the manual should be supported by lecture notes.
3. For the second part: L. GUGLIELMUCCI, Diritto fallimentare,
Giappichelli, Torino, last edition available.
4. Materials that will be made available during the course published in
the professor’s web page
Lecture, discussion, judicial cases, exercises.
If not possible, the activities will take place in virtual mode, by means of
platform Teams and Elly, both in synchronous mode (via Teams) and in asynchronous mode (uploaded on Elly, where they will remain available until the 7th day after the last lesson of the course).
To the course may also
be related educational workshops set to the simulation or real situations (v.
Laboratory on corporate governance and Laboratory on corporate crisis).
Assessment methods and criteria
The verification of the ability of learning will be carried out with a test of
oral examination, during which the student must demonstrate their
mastery of the ability
to communicate with the appropriate legal language, autonomy in
making connections between the different aspects of the discipline and
the ability to apply knowledge through to complex situations. It will be
provided an intermediate test in mid-course.
If not possible, the oral examination will take place in synchronous virtual mode, by means of
platform Teams: the students booked for the exam will receive, a few days before the date of the proof, the instructions and the related link to be clicked for attending the exam.