PEDIATRICS, PEDIATRIC OPHTHALMOLOGY, AND REHABILITATION OF IMPAIRED VISUAL FUNCTION
Learning outcomes of the course unit
To give basic pediatric informations necessary to health professionals who will frequently operate in a pediatric setting, with particular attention to the rehabilitative aspects.
The course aims to train the student on the low vision problems, addressing the classification, the rehabilitation techniques, the main causes in children, adults, and elders. Completing the course, the student must know and be able to use the main auxiliary optic devices.
Course contents summary
- Growth of neonate and children
- Preterms: followup
- Dismorphic syndromes
- Reumatic disease, juvenile arthritis
- Cystic fibrosis
- Bronchopolmonary dysplasia
- Congenital cardiopathy
Low vision: definition and classification.
· Rehabilitation: definition.
· Ocular diseases causing low vision in children: nystagmus, optic atrophy, congenital cataract, retinopathy of prematurely, congenital glaucoma, retinal degenerations.
· Ocular diseases causing low vision in adults: albinism, multiple sclerosis, optic atrophy, degenerative myopia.
· Ocular diseases causing low vision in elderly: diabetic retinopathy, age-related maculopathy.
· Magnification: definition.
· Auxiliary optic devices: lenses, optical telescope.
· Electronic devices: CCTV (black and white and colour portable video-magnification; electonic magnification, vocal synthesis.
Castello M., Duse M. Manuale di Pediatria. Piccin Editore
A. Colembrander, D. C. Fistcher: "Oftalmologia clinica nel Nord America - Ipovisione e riabilitazione visiva", Verducu Editore;
Fondazione R. Hollman "Sight First: l'intervento precoce nei bambini con deficit visivo ", Lions Club Verbania;
P. B. Freeman, Randal T. Jose: "The art and practice of low vision", Buttersworth-Hainemann a division of Reed Publishing (USA) Inc.;
Organ Backman, Krister Inde: "Riabilitazione visiva del paziente ipovedente", Fabiano Editore;
Luigi Luparelli: "Ipovisione: i fondamenti e la pratica", Medical Books
The topics contained in the Programmes of the Modules will be illustrated and discussed during classroom lectures. In specific cases, lectures will be integrated by active teaching through individual and group exercises and practical activities. Due to the emergency situation the lessons could also take place remotely (synchronously / asynchronously) using Microsoft Teams.
Assessment methods and criteria
Final oral examination, score 0-30. Score will be immediately
communicated. Due to the emergency situation, the exam could only take place in the oral / remote form using the Microsoft Teams platform.