Learning outcomes of the course unit
At the end of the course, the student is expected to be able to:
- set up and design a hydrogeological project on complex hydrogeological situations;
- plan specific surveys for different hydrogeological problems;
- independently acquire hydrogeological data in the field useful for the objective;
- orally present the data processed and the results obtained from the hydrogeological survey in the field.
Course of IDROGEOLOGIA
Course of IDROGEOLOGIA APPLICATA
Course contents summary
Design criteria for hydrogeological survey. Collecting hydrogeological data in field. Management of water sampling (groundwater and superficial water) for the determination of physico-chemical parameters. Analysis and critical reading of the collected data in field. Drafting of hydrogeological map and his notes. Writing of professional report.
During the first lesson, the program, its purpose and the exams modalities will be illustrated. Information on the teaching material will also be provided.
PLAN A HYDROGEOLOGICAL STUDY
The main hydrogeological, geochemical, isotopic and microbiological techniques will be exposed and illustrated in order to plan a hydrogeological project in a complex case study. In particular, several case studies with different specific objectives will be illustrated and the different approach to plan the survey will be analysed.
DEVELOP A HYDROGEOLOGICAL STUDY
The methodologies for inprove the different steps of a hydrogeological study in relation to the available budget will be illustrated. Several case studies with different objectives and budgets available will be illustrated
FROM THEORY TO PRACTICE
Various daily and multi-day excursions will be carried out in order to aquire the main hydrogeological parameters in the field. Will be performed measurements of flow rates of springs, measurements of flow rates in the riverbed, punctual and continuous piezometric level measurements, tests with optical tracer, measurements of the main parameters physico-chemical, etc.
The main criteria to clearly present the results obtained in a hydrogeological study will be presented.
During the course, hydrogeological experimental data on different study areas will be provided. The student has the task of elaborating and interpreting them to arrive at the oral presentation of a case study.
- Prospezioni idrogeologiche -Liquori Editore
- Freeze RA, Cherry AC. 1979. Groundwater. Prentice-Hall International:Upper Saddle River.
- James J, Butler Jr. 1997. The Design, Performance and Analysis of Slug Tests. Lewis Oublischer
- Lang P, 2003. Application of artificial tracers in Hydrogeology-Guideline. Bulletin d'Hydrogèologie, 20, 93pp
The course will be divided into:
- Basic frontal lessons aimed at acquiring knowledge on hydrogeological survey methods useful for designing hydrogeological project in complex case study. During the lectures, several case studies will be presented.
- Pratical lessons in which the student, through exercises and surveys in the field, will apply the theory to his own - or proposed by teacher - hydrogeological project following the methodological criteria illustrated during the lessons and in the bibliographic and teaching material.
The slides used to support the lessons will all be uploaded to the Elly platform at the beginning of the course. To download the slides, the student needs to be register for the online course. The slides are considered an integral part of the teaching material. Non-attending students are reminded to check the didactic material available and the information provided by the teacher through the Elly platform.
The basic frontal lectures will take place in person with the possibility of using the online lessons uploaded on the Elly page of the course
The practical lessons will take place in person.
Assessment methods and criteria
The exam consists in the oral presentation of a case study whose data was partly acquired by the student during the practical part of the course and partly provided by the teacher. During the presentation of the case study, the project design, the planning of the investigations, the quality of the data collected in the field and the oral presentation of the results obtained will be evaluated.
The oral exam is evaluated with a 0-30 scale. “Cum laude” are awarded in the case of achieving the maximum score on each item to which the control of the specific wordlist is added.
In-person exam. If due to the persistence of the health emergency will be necessary to integrate with the remote mode, the examination will take place via Teams.