The course aims to provide essential knowledge about dams and weirs according to the Italian technical regulations. Specifically, the following topics will be discussed:
- diversions with and without regulation;
- main types of dams reported by the Italian Regulations: concrete dams (gravity and arch dams) and earth and rockfill dams;
- structures for the functioning of an artificial lake: intakes, outlets, overflow structures and stilling basins;
- fixed weirs and movable floodgates;
- basic tools for the determination of the flood wave generated by the collapse of a dam (dambreak).