Learning outcomes of the course unit
At the end of the course, the student will understand the meaning of the results of main laboratory tests and will be able to apply this information in the characterization of problems related to physical activity
Course contents summary
Lessons will concern the laboratory tests most commonly employed in the evaluation of physical activity
- Introductory remarks: how an athlete should read laboratory data
– CBC. Hemoglobin. PCV. White cells.
- Hemostasis (hints)
- Electrolytes: sodium, potassium, chloride
- Glucose metabolism
- Fat metabolism
- Nitrogen, Amino acids, Proteins
- Urinalysis (hints)
- Organ function tests (hints)
G. Federici: Medicina di laboratorio - Mc Graw Hill (last edition).
Interactive lectures. The slides shown during the lectures will be available on the Elly platform.
Assessment methods and criteria
The achievement of the objectives will be assessed with interim tests through multiple choice questions. Test results will be integrated in the final oral evaluation.