At the end of the course the student should have acquired knowledge regarding general and special pharmacology and toxicology. In detail, the student should be able to:
1. know the mechanisms of action of drugs and toxic substances and their interaction with molecular targets in the body. Know the most important classes of drugs and poisons. Be able to employ the appropriate scientific language and terminology. (knowledge and understanding)
2. understand the properties of the different drugs and toxic substances. (applying knowledge and understanding)
3. explain the results of the study also to an audience of non-experts. (communication skills)
4. relate the acquired knowledge to zootechnical productions and animal welfare. (making judgements)
5. link the different topics treated in the course among themselves and to other disciplines of the academic degree course. (learning skills)
As per Degree Course
Course contents summary
The course will provide students with basic notions of general pharmacology about pharmacodynamics and pharmacokinetics with regard, in particular, to the mechanism of action of the drugs, receptors, the concept of agonist-antagonist, the therapeutic index and margin of safety, absorption, distribution, metabolism and excretion of drugs. The student should also know the mechanism of action and main effects of: NSAIDs, antibacterial, antimicotic and antiparasitic drugs, mycotoxins, rodenticides.
CARLI - ORMAS - RE - SOLDANI -Farmacologia Veterinaria. Edizioni Idelson-Gnocchi-2009.
The students are, however, reminded that the textbook must be integrated with classroom lectures.
MENGOZZI - SOLDANI - Tossicologia Veterinaria. Edizioni Idelson-Gnocchi-2010. The students are, however, reminded that the textbook must be integrated with classroom lectures.
The evaluation of the knowledge acquired by the student in the course of Elements of Pharmacology and Toxicology is made by means of a oral exam. The student, therefore, after online registration to the official exam calendar published on the Department of Veterinary Science website, will have to perform an oral exam consisting of answering to some questions regarding topics of the course cited above. The student will have to show to have understood the core concepts of the treated topics of the course. The students with diagnosis of specific learning disability (DSA) certified under law n. 170/2010, will be provided with proper support
9 examination sessions are scheduled throughout the academic year, as reported on ESSE3 platform website.
5 more sessions are scheduled for so called "fuori corso e ripetenti" students. A minimun of 14 days is required between two subsequent examination sessions. The examining board consists of at least two teachers.