COMPUTER SCIENCE - BASE MODULE
Learning outcomes of the course unit
• Limits and opportunities of Information Technologies in the context in which they are
• Reprocess the reality by transporting the data on computer in order to analyze and
interpret them, developing deductions and reasoning over them, with the aid of
graphical representations, knowingly using the calculation tools and the opportunities
offered by specific IT applications, in particular the spreadsheet.
Course contents summary
• Hardware: brief introduction on computer architecture and its basic components.
• Basic functions of an operating system.
• Utility software and application software: the spreadsheet.
Logical-functional structure of a computer
• Basic components of a modern computer.
• The input and output unit (I / O).
• Central processing unit (CPU).
• Main memory and secondary (or mass) memory:
◦ The main memory devices
◦ Units of measurement of memory capacity (bit, byte, Kb, ...)
Introduction to Operating systems
• General features of an operating system
• Operating system startup and shutdown operations
• The User Interface
• Management and organization of files and folders
• The software
Software and spreadsheet
• The main functions
• The main software and the main licenses
• Cells and data format
◦ Cells, rows, columns and sheets
◦ Set the data format
◦ Use automatic filling
◦ Formatting: themes, color, style, borders, alignments
◦ Set up the table
◦ Simple and composed orders
◦ Automatic filters
• Formulas and references
◦ The arithmetic operators for the construction of calculation formulas: + - * /
◦ Use of relative, absolute and mixed references in the formulas
◦ Basic automatic functions (sum, min, max, avg, count.if, ...)
◦ Text functions (left, right, concatenate, ...)
◦ Simple logic functions (function if)
◦ Importing data from different formats (eg text)
◦ Create a chart
◦ Types of basic chart (histogram, bars, pie, lines)
◦ Change the chart options
◦ Set the options for printing worksheets: layout, print area, headers and footers,
printing of background grids, etc.
Assessment methods and criteria
Practical and theoretical examination on the whole program.
Moreover, the verification of learning can consider the support of ongoing tests during the
course, which will be individually evaluated and which will contribute to the final result.
The emails for the prof. must have the object [CLEM1819]