NUTRITION AND APPLIED DIETETICS
Knowledge and understanding:
• The skills to understand the nutrition effect of nutrients/foods/diet on human physiology, on human metabolism and on human health.
• The skills to evaluate the role of nutrition within the risk prevention and risk management of non-communicable diseases.
• The skills to evaluate nutrition studies.
• The skills to analyse and evaluate nutrition scientific data.
• The skills to understand and apply the basic concepts of dietetics.
• The skills to evaluate critically the nutrition information on food pack.
Knowledge and understanding applied
• Apply the acquired knowledge in the framework of applied human nutrition and of nutrition research.
• Autonomously evaluate a nutrition strategy.
• Autonomously evaluate the validity of nutrition research.
• Evaluate the quality of food product based on the available labelled information
• Have the ability to synthesize information and communicate it effectively to specialist, non-specialist interlocutors and colleagues of other company sectors.
• Develop skills and methodology that allow you to study in a highly autonomous way.
• Basics of nutrition and nutritional food quality
• Human nutrition and health: primary and secondary prevention, epidemiological evidences on non-communicable diseases.
• Nutrition instruments: LARN and Italian Dietary Guidelines
• Principle of dietetics
• European regulation: nutrition and health claims, food labelling and organic foods
• Food sustainability
Costantini et al. "Alimentazione e Nutrizione Umana" (III edizione, Il Pensiero Scientifico Ed)
Lovegrove J et al. “Nutrition Research Methodologies” (Nutrition Society)
Livelli di Assunzione di Riferimento di Nutrienti ed energia per la popolazione italiana (LARN) (IV Rev)
The lessons will be mainly frontal, but organized in order to involve students. The slides used to support lessons, as an integral part of the teaching material, will be provided directly to the students and uploaded on the Elly platform.
Scale of assessment: 0-30
• Acquired knowledge
• Ability to apply the acquired knowledge and to make connections between the covered topics
• Capacity to communicate concepts using the specific language of the discipline.
A case study work and presentation on a topic linked to the course (up to 3 additional points)