At the end of the class, students should be able to understand, modify and design high performance automation systems.
Course contents summary
The course deals with concepts of robotics and flexible automation.
Hardware and software components for advanced automation systems will be discussed.
- History of automation.
- Applications of flexible and non-flexible autoamtion
- Types of robots and their features.
- Rigid body kinematics.
- Rotation matrices and quaternions.
- Direct and inverse kinematics.
- Jacobians and kinematic singularities.
- Motion profiles.
- Feedback and feedforward control schemes.
- Stepper, brushless, linear motors and other actuators.
- Sensors and feedback systems, absolute/relative/multiturn encoders.
- Reducers for robots.
- Linear guides and components for actuators.
- Examples of joint designs.
- Grippers and other end effectors.
- Embedded systems and controllers.
- Real-time operating systems
- Mobile robots, AGV.
- Parallel kinematics robots.
- Robot offline/online programming.
- Vision and artificial intelligence.
- Numerical methods for kinematics and dynamics.
- Multibody methods
P.L. MAGNANI, G. RUGGIERI: Meccanismi per macchine automatiche. UTET, ISBN-10: 8802040249.
G. LEGNANI: Robotica industriale, CEA, ISBN-10: 8808086313
Lessons and projects developed as group homework, for instance building small robots or developing custom software.
NOTE: In case the pandemic emergency has not been resolved, lessons will be given in teleconference via Teams platforms. Lessons on Teams will be also interactive, and presentations will be stored on the Elly platform.
Assessment methods and criteria
Final exam, in form of a discussion of about twenty minutes on four random topics from the program.
Students that decided to develop the optional group projects need to show the result of the project to the professor in a previous moment, during office hours. The vote ranges in the 0-30 inteval, with a 3 point penalty for students that decided not to do the optional group project.
NOTE: In case the pandemic emergence has not been resolved, the exam will be given via teleconference via Teams, and instructions will be communicated via email when the student applies for the exam.