BIBLIOGRAPHIC RESEARCH AND CHEMICAL DATA BASES
Learning outcomes of the course unit
At the end of the course the student is expected to be able to:
- Know how to consult databases and literature to find chemical information.
- Know the main scientific databases and be able to choose the type of database most useful for the retrieval of certain bibliographic information.
- Know the main characteristics and the differences between various types of scientific publication (letter, article, review, patent), as well as the problems concerning the protection of intellectual property.
- To gather and examine sources of information in the scientific literature.
- Easily retrieve information related to a specific chemical problem / topic from literature and databases.
- Critically analyze the results of a bibliographic research and apply the appropriate filters to refine the research itself.
- Export and archive the results of the bibliographic research so that they are easily accessible for future consultations.
- Take advantage of computer methods for data processing.
- Recover all the bibliographic information necessary to plan and carry out the synthesis of organic, inorganic and organometallic materials and molecules.
- Share information with others, even in English, easily using multimedia tools
Knowledge of the fundamentals of chemistry, chemical reactivity and structure of chemical compounds.
Course contents summary
Description of contents and use functions of the principal databases related to chemical and molecular sciences.
- Web of Science
Slides provided by the teacher are available on Elly, together with examples of final examination text and exercises.
The teaching activities will be conducted through lectures accompanied by the projection of slides, together with exercises and guided practice. The slides used to support the lessons will be loaded at the beginning of the course on the Elly platform. To download the slides it is necessary to register for the online course. The slides are considered an integral part of the teaching material. Non-attending students are reminded to check the available teaching materials and the indications provided by the teacher through the Elly platform.
Classroom exercises will be carried out on the main databases.
Activities will be assigned that students will have to perform independently.
Assessment methods and criteria
The assessment of learning foresees a practical test by using a computer: during the exam, the student is asked to perform a bibliographic search using the various databases introduced during the course. The student must know how to properly evaluate which database to use according to the question posed and apply the filters in the most appropriate way to refine the search. The test is evaluated as "suitable".
The result of the test is communicated immediately at the end of the test itself. Please note that online registration is OBLIGATORY.