Knowledge and understanding:
In order to develop the fundamental skills, needed for the design and assessment of structural members, the Student has to demonstrate, within the end of the course, the attainment of knowledge about some relevant topics, listed in the following:
- Combine actions and obtain design actions for the verification of structures at the ultimate limit states
Knowledge of elementary methods for structural analysis;
- Knowledge of theoretical basis for the design of reinforced concrete and steel members, together with their foundations and restrains;
- Understanding the fundamental principles of the methods adopted for the structural assessment and structural reliability;
Applying knowledge and understanding:
The ability to apply acquired knowledge will be developed in respect of some relevant topics, listed in the following:
- Apply the structural analysis methods to evaluate stress and strain states of statically indeterminate structures;
- Apply the acquired techniques for the design and verification of most common reinforced concrete or steel structural members;
- Prepare an exercise book containing some assignments proposed by the teacher during the lessons.
By the end of the course, the student should be able to evaluate, with critical mind, the good choice for the structural element design and its feasibleness.
The student should be able to clearly present the results of the design activity by means of tables, charts and drawings.
Knowledge of the topics treated in the course allows the Student to be able to take action in the technical field of civil engineering contest and to be worthy of the tasks required during the design and the assessment of structures and infrastructures.
Knowledge of the basic concepts learned at the course Tecnica delle Costruzioni I, stress analysis, strength of material and theory of elastic beams
Course contents summary
The course provides knowledge and understanding about the fundamentals of the design and assessment of structural members usually adopted in the civil engineering field
Combination of actions for ultimate limit state verifications. Structural analysis of frames. Deflection of beams. Principle of virtual work. Mohr’s theorem. Statically indeterminate beams. Flexural deformability and stiffness of a beam. Shear deformability and stiffness of a beam. Statically indeterminate frames. Fixed-joint and sway frames. Force method. Displacement method. Mixed method. Practices lectures. Actions for use in design. Design of slabs, beams, columns, corbels. Standard code recommendations for the design of structures.
Notes given by lecturer and educational material available on the University web learning site “Elly” Additional books:
- F. Beninato, D. Foti, V. Vacca. “La risoluzione dei telai piani”. Flaccovio Editore.
- F. Angotti, M. Guiglia, P. Marro, M. Orlando. “Progetto delle strutture in calcestruzzo armato”. Hoepli Editore, 2019
- C. Bernuzzi. “Proporzionamento di strutture in acciaio”. Hoepli Editore 2018
Slides will be used to convey the most important messages of the theory lectures. Practical lectures will be performed to illustrate design examples on reinforced concrete and steel elements.
Assessment methods and criteria
The verification of learning is based on a written and an oral test. The written test deals with a first exercise concerning the combination of actions and the calculation of design action for ultimate limit state verifications (weighted in the 20% assessment), the second exercise concerns the calculation of a statically indeterminate frame by adopting the displacement method or the force method (weighted in the 60% assessment) and finally the last exercise concerns the design of some structural elements (weighted in the 20% assessment).
The oral test deals with an illustration of the exercise book containing some assignments proposed by the teacher during the lessons and prepared by the student.
Lecture attendance is highly recommended.
The teacher is available by appointment (via e-mail) for clarification on the topic treated during the lectures. It is strongly advised the use of EXCEL.