Learning outcomes of the course unit
To provide the basic notions concerning the functional properties of the central nervous system, the cardiovascular, respiratory, gastroenteric and renal apparatus.
Basic notions concerning the morphology of the central nervous system, the cardiovascular, respiratory, gastroenteric and renal apparatus.
Course contents summary
The course will deal with basic notions concerning the physiology of the central nervous system, the cardiovascular, respiratory, gastroenteric, and renal apparatus.
1) Physiology of the nervous system:
- Structure and characteristics of the nerve cell.
- The action potential.
- Synapses and receptors.
- Somatic sensitivity and receptors (the Pacini corpuscle).
- Organization of somatic systems.
- Organization of engine systems.
- Spinal reflexes.
-Organization of motor and sensory cortices. Somatotopy.
2) Cardiovascular system:
-The properties of the myocardium: autorimitmicità, conductivity, excitability, contractility.
- Elements of cardiac electrophysiology: ionic theories of resting potential and action potential.
- Mechanical events of the cardiac cycle.
- Cardiac output and pulse volume.
- The intrinsic and extrinsic regulation of cardiac activity.
- The vascular system.
- Blood pressure.
3) Respiratory system:
- The rib cage and the respiratory muscles.
- Volumes and lung capacity.
- Respiratory mechanics.
- The alveolus-capillary exchanges of gases. Gas exchange in tissues.
- Transport of oxygen and carbon dioxide in the blood.
4) Gastrointestinal system
- Mechanisms of nervous and hormonal control of gastrointestinal functions. - Motility of the digestive system: chewing, swallowing, gastric and intestinal motility, defecation.
- Digestive system secretions: saliva, gastric juice, pancreatic juice, bile.
-Digestion and absorption of carbohydrates, lipids, proteins and vitamins
5) Urinary system:
-The kidney. Structure / operation report. Blood spraying.
- Glomerular filtration.
- Tubular secretion and absorption in the different segments.
- Regulation of the hydro-saline balance.
Fondamenti Fisiologia dell’Uomo. Edi-Ermes.
Stanfield - Fisiologia. Edi SES
Vander - Fisiologia. Casa Editrice Ambrosiana
Frontal lectures with audio-visual material.
Assessment methods and criteria
Written examination with multiple choice questions. Questions will concern the contents taught during the classes. The examination will verify the level of general learning of the contents taught during the classes.