HYGIENE, ORGANIZATION AND HEALTH PROGRAMMING
Learning outcomes of the course unit
To provide students with knowledge on the general principles of hygiene and public health, with particular reference to physical activity and sports. To acquire an independent learning methodology. To acquire an autonomy of judgments on the topics dealt with and specific communication skills in relations with specialists and non-specialists.
No prerequisites required.
Course contents summary
Definition of health.
General concepts of health and hygiene.
Determinants of health and disease.
Epidemiology and prevention of infectious diseases.
Epidemiology and prevention of chronic degenerative diseases.
Hygiene applied to sport and motor activities.
Health education and health promotion.
1. GENERAL CONCEPTS OF HYGIENE AND PUBLIC HEALTH
• Definition of health
• Primary, secondary and tertiary prevention
• Health organization in Italy: the National Health Service at central, regional and local levels.
• Health education and health promotion
2. EPIDEMIOLOGICAL METHODOLOGY
• Definition of epidemiology and its applications
• Sources of epidemiological data
• Descriptive epidemiological measures.
Epidemiological measures of risk.
• Main types of epidemiological study (descriptive, transversal, case-control, cohort and experimental)
3. EPIDEMIOLOGY AND GENERAL PROPHYTASES OF INFECTIOUS AND CHRONIC-DEGENERATIVE DISEASES
• Host-parasite relationships, sources and reservoirs of infection, epidemiological chain of infectious diseases
• Notification, diagnostic assessment,
• Cleaning, disinfection, sterilization, disinfestation
• Vaccination, passive immunoprofilaxis and chemoprophylaxis
• Epidemiology and prevention of cardiovascular diseases
• Epidemiology and prevention of tumors
• Modifiable and non-modifiable risk factors
• Screening tests
4. HYGIENE APPLIED TO SPORTS ACTIVITIES
• Epidemiological data on physical activity in Italy
The role of physical activity in the prevention of diseases
• Nutrition hygiene: food requirements and diseases associated to non correct nutrition
• Specific risks in sports
Vaccination in athletes
• Problems of hygiene and safety of sports facilities. Psycho-physical well-being in confined environments
• Major risk factors for sports injuries and their prevention
• Hygienic-sanitary problems of swimming pools
• Health information and education in sports
• Role of motor and sports activities for the promotion of psycho-physical wellbeing
• Epidemiology and prevention of doping
C. Signorelli. Igiene e Sanità pubblica. Società Editrice Universo, 2017.
S. Barbuti, G.M. Fara, G. Giammanco et al. Igiene. Monduzzi Editore, 2011.
C. Pasquarella, E. Saccani, F. Torreggiani, C. Signorelli. Sport e Salute. Aspetti organizzativi e igienico-sanitari delle attività motorie. S.Croce, Parma, 2012.
G. Brandi, G. Liguori, V. Romano Spica. Igiene e Sanità Pubblica per Scienze Motorie. Antonio Delfino Editore, 2009
Frontal and interactive lessons with the use of informatic tools.
Assessment methods and criteria
Written and oral exam in which the knowledge, skills and abilities acquired during the course will be evaluated.