HYGIENE, ORGANIZATION AND HEALTH PROGRAMMING
Learning outcomes of the course unit
To provide students with knowledge on the general principles of hygiene and public health, with particular reference to physical activity and sports. To acquire an independent learning methodology. To acquire an autonomy of judgments on the topics dealt with and specific communication skills in relations with specialists and non-specialists.
No prerequisites required.
Course contents summary
Definition of health.
General concepts of health and hygiene.
Determinants of health and disease.
Epidemiology and prevention of infectious diseases.
Epidemiology and prevention of chronic degenerative diseases.
Hygiene applied to sport and motor activities.
Health education and health promotion.
1. GENERAL CONCEPTS OF HYGIENE AND PUBLIC HEALTH
• Definition of health
• Primary, secondary and tertiary prevention
• Health organization in Italy: the National Health Service at central, regional and local levels.
• Health education and health promotion
2. EPIDEMIOLOGICAL METHODOLOGY
• Definition of epidemiology and its applications
• Sources of epidemiological data
• Descriptive epidemiological measures.
Epidemiological measures of risk.
• Main types of epidemiological study (descriptive, transversal, case-control, cohort and experimental)
3. EPIDEMIOLOGY AND GENERAL PROPHYTASES OF INFECTIOUS AND CHRONIC-DEGENERATIVE DISEASES
• Host-parasite relationships, sources and reservoirs of infection, epidemiological chain of infectious diseases
• Notification, diagnostic assessment,
• Cleaning, disinfection, sterilization, disinfestation
• Vaccination, passive immunoprofilaxis and chemoprophylaxis
• Epidemiology and prevention of cardiovascular diseases
• Epidemiology and prevention of tumors
• Modifiable and non-modifiable risk factors
• Screening tests
4. HYGIENE APPLIED TO SPORTS ACTIVITIES
• Epidemiological data on physical activity in Italy
The role of physical activity in the prevention of diseases
• Nutrition hygiene: food requirements and diseases associated to non correct nutrition
• Specific risks in sports
Vaccination in athletes
• Problems of hygiene and safety of sports facilities. Psycho-physical well-being in confined environments
• Major risk factors for sports injuries and their prevention
• Hygienic-sanitary problems of swimming pools
• Health information and education in sports
• Role of motor and sports activities for the promotion of psycho-physical wellbeing
• Epidemiology and prevention of doping
Educational material downlodable from the istituzionale website Elly (https://elly.medicina.unipr.it).
C. Signorelli. Igiene e Sanità pubblica. Società Editrice Universo, 2019.
C. Pasquarella, E. Saccani, F. Torreggiani, C. Signorelli. Sport e Salute. Aspetti organizzativi e igienico-sanitari delle attività motorie. S.Croce, Parma, 2012.
S. Barbuti, G.M. Fara, G. Giammanco et al. Igiene. Monduzzi Editore, 2011.
G. Brandi, G. Liguori, V. Romano Spica. Igiene e Sanità Pubblica per Scienze Motorie. Antonio Delfino Editore, 2009
The course will be held through lectures to Students either in the classroom (“in presenza”) or in synchronous-streaming (“in telepresenza”) on the Teams platform. Therefore, the opportunity of Student/Teacher interaction will be preserved both face to face and remotely, by the simultaneous use of the Teams platform.
Lectures will be supported by slide presentations, which will be available to students on the Elly platform (https://elly.medicina.unipr.it).
Assessment methods and criteria
Written examination, multiple choice test.
In case of the persistence of the health emergency, the exams will be conducted remotely, as follows:
structured written test conducted remotely (by Teams and Elly). The test consists of 30 multiple choice questions on the course contents (reference texts + documents uploaded to Elly during the course). There is no penalty for incorrect answers.
The final mark, reported directly on Esse3, will correspond to the arithmetic average of the assessments obtained in the written test.
Students with SLD / BSE must first contact Le Eli-che: support for students with disabilities, D.S.A., B.E.S. (https://sea.unipr.it/it/servizi/le-eli-che-supporto-studenti-con-disabil...