REHABILITATION OF IMPAIRED VISUAL FUNCTION DURING DEVELOPMENT
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Dublin descriptor: knowledge and understanding
learn about the pathophysiology of low vision and diseases that lead to low vision, with particular attention to? functional amblyopia and eye movement disorder in adults and in children
2 Dublin descriptor: knowledge and understanding applied
diagnose the different clinical forms of low vision and amblyopia (functional and cross-eyed)
3 descriptor Dublin: Judgement
reach a sufficient level of autonomy to run a clinical diagnosis of low vision
4 descriptor Dublin: communication skills
the student should speak with the correct technical language
5 Dublin descriptor: ability to learn
The student will learn the systems of low vision rehabilitation and treatment, with particular attention to diagnostic therapeutic dell'ambliopia functional forms of failure of convergence and of orthotic treatment in the alterations of the extrinsic ocular motility
Course contents summary
The course represents the continuation and completion of course I, and aims to introduce students to other pathologies that can cause low vision in adults and children.
The definitions of blindness, visual handicap, civil disability and the current Italian legislation on the matter are also provided.
The course also presents the rehabilitation program in the visually impaired in developmental age, with particular attention to learning reading and writing.
The course also focuses attention on the psychology of the partially sighted person.
By learning the visual-functional evaluation of the partially sighted person, particular attention is paid to the knowledge of the most modern electronic aids.
Finally, the course proposes the posturology program addressing the following topics:
- general information on posturology
- visual functional parameters inducing altered postures
- postural changes in vision for near incorrect
- postural anomalies due to changes in ocular motility
- rehabilitation strategies
- the conservative approach in rehabilitation
- general information on the reeducation of the visual function
- pathophysiology of abnormal and semiotic posture
- optical rehabilitation
- motor dominance in postural anomalies of ocular origin
- postural rehabilitation strategies in long lasting muscle paralysis
Finally, through the discipline of Applying Medical Technical Sciences, the course proposes the following topics:
- Treatment of functional amblyopia;
- occlusive therapy: total, partial or maintenance with filters;
- penalized therapy: pharmacological or optical;
- treatment of the insufficiency of the convergence: fusive vergences with prisms, physiological diplopia, fusive amplitude at the greater amblioscope;
- accommodative converging strabismus therapy with high AC / A ratio;
- accommodative relaxation exercises with red filter, physiological diplopia and reading with bar, divergent fusive vergences, divergent fusive width at the synophophorus with the arms placed at the patient's deviation angle;
- treatment of nystagmus: external based prisms if the block is in convergence, homologous based prisms in the presence of a stiff neck with stop of the nystagmus;
- prismatic treatment both in paralytic strabismus and in decompensated convergent strabismus with single binocular vision.
- Colembrander, D. C. Fistcher: 'Oftalmologia clinica nel Nord America - Ipovisione e riabilitazione visiva', Verducu Editore
- Fondazione R. Hollman 'Sight First: l'intervento precoce nei bambini con deficit visivo ', Lions Club Verbania
- P. B. Freeman, Randal T. Jose: 'The art and practice of low vision',Buttersworth-Hainemann a division of Reed Publishing (USA) Inc.
- Organ Backman, Krister Inde: 'Riabilitazione visiva del paziente ipovedente', Fabiano Editore
- Luigi Luparelli: 'Ipovisione: i fondamenti e la pratica', Medical Books.
- Gunter K. Von Noorten: 'Visione binoculare e motilità oculare', Ed.Medical Books
- M. Maione, G. Maraini: 'L'unità visiva sensorio-motoria", Ed. Libreria Goliardica (PR)
oral lectures and tutorials theoretical and practical. The lessons will be preparatory to share activity in the laboratory of low vision and at the Center of the UOC orthotic Ophthalmology (Az University Hospital of Parma). Due to the emergency situation the lessons could also take place remotely (synchronously / asynchronously) using Microsoft Teams.
Assessment methods and criteria
oral examination. The examination will focus on the content of the course. The student must show that it has a sufficient level of knowledge of both disciplines in which it is articulated Integrated Course. The final grade will be the average resulting from that obtained in the evaluations concerning the individual disciplines. ue to the emergency situation, the exam could only take place in the oral / remote form using the Microsoft Teams platform.