The main scope of the course is to supply the hydrogeological knowledge and the tools to use in field in order to develop professional works and scientific research in hydrogeology
Course of IDROGEOLOGIA
Course of IDROGEOLOGIA APPLICATA
Course contents summary
Design criteria for hydrogeological survey. Collecting hydrogeological data in field. Management of water sampling (groundwater and superficial water) for the determination of physico-chemical parameters. Analysis and critical reading of the collected data in field. Drafting of hydrogeological map and his notes. Writing of professional report.
During the first lesson, the program, its purpose and the exams modalities will be illustrated. Information on the teaching material will also be provided.
TO DESIGN. WHICH INSTRUMENTS CAN BE USED IN HYDROGEOLOGICAL STUDIES?
1. Classical hydrogeological survey
2. Geochemical and isotopic survey
3. Microbiological and biomolecular survey
TO DEVELOP. HOW DO THE WORK CAN BE DISTRIBUTE?
4. Which investigations to use regarding the available budget
5. How to set a quote for hydrogeological surveys
TO EXECUTE. FROM THEORY TO PRACTICE
6. IN CLASSROOM (EXERCISE). Case study of a coastal aquifer
7. IN FIELD: Case study of a fractured aquifer
8. IN FIELD: Case study of a low permeability aquifer
9. IN FIELD: Case study of an aquifer in an alluvial plain
10. IN FIELD: Case study of a carbonate aquifer
FINALIZE. HOW DO THE WORK CAN BE SHOWN?
11. How to write a technical and/or scientific report
- James J, Butler Jr. 1997. The Design, Performance and Analysis of Slug Tests. Lewis Oublischer
- Lang P, 2003. Application of artificial tracers in Hydrogeology-Guideline. Bulletin d'Hydrogèologie, 20, 93pp
The course will be divided into basic lectures aimed to acquiring the knowledge and experience necessary to design, develop and finalize hydrogeological studies in areas characterized by significant hydrogeological complexity. In addition, the course will be integrated with a certain number of hours of exercise on the analysis and interpretation of data on a study area and on the hydrogeological survey in the field. Individual and group exercises will be provided.
Assessment methods and criteria
The ability of the student to use, integrate and communicate to third parties the knowledge, is verified during the course, through an oral group presentation, with debate. The student prepares this presentation with data provided by the teacher.
The final exam is a single oral scientific presentation on the data acquired during the field survey, This data should be appropriately integrated, elaborated and interpreted with other data provided by the teacher.