Learning outcomes of the course unit
The course is aimed at students interested in learning the basics of the construction and analysis of geological surfaces and three-dimensional models, starting from precise, two-dimensional and three-dimensional information, using specific commercial software. The practical application of the methodology will be carried out through the construction and analysis of analogue experiments, of which the three-dimensional geological model will be constructed.
Basic knowledgement of Windows commands and GIS
Course contents summary
- Planning and build a three-dimensional geological model based on the data available;
- Reproduce the natural structures on the scale of the analog laboratory;
- Analyze the geometry and the kinematics of the natural structures and build the related three-dimensional geological model using specific software.
- Building a geological model of subsoil starting from geophysical data.
1. Introduction to the meaning and methods of construction of geological surfaces and their assembly in three-dimensional models, starting from point or two-dimensional data.
2.Build of analogue experiments: materials and their rheological characteristics, scaling, construction of experimental stratigraphy and deformation.
3. Analysis of experiments in terms of incremental topography and section geometries.
4. Restitution of remarkable surfaces of experiments and construction of three-dimensional geological models through the software MOVE (Midland Valley Exploration)
5. Application of the operating procedure to the construction of geological subsoil models from geophysical data.
Tutorial Move 2017-1
6 credits, 28 hours in classroom, 24 in laboratory
Assessment methods and criteria
Final exam, which ascertains the acquisition of knowledge and skills (i.e., the acquisition of
learning outcomes) by conducting a practical test lasting 2.0 hours without the use of
notes or books. The evaluation of learning is carried out through a practical test consisting in the elaboration of a project and / or the answering to.