PROVENÇAL LITERATURE (LM)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The course aims to give deep knowledge and competence in medieval occitan language and literature.
1) Knowledge and understanding: by the end of course the students will be able to read and translate texts of average difficulty in medieval occitan
2) Applying Knowledge and understanding and judgments making: by the
end of the course students will be able to comment upon occitan texts and complex argumentation.
3) communication skills: by the end the course students will be able to formulate hypothesis in a specialistic and up-to-date vocabulary.
4) Learning skills: by the end of the course students will be able to carry on autonomously his studies also in view of PhD.
Course contents summary
During the course, we'll read passages from the Roland à Saragossa, a provençal chanson de geste which gives a version of Roland deeds different from the one in the Chanson de Roland.
L. Lazzerini, Letteratura medievale in lingua d'oc, Modena, Mucchi
Au. Roncaglia, La lingua dei trovatori (any edition).
Rolando a Saragozza, a c. di Belletti, Alessandria, Edizioni dell'Orso
Taught class; seminar lesson (reading and translating from digitised manuscripts).
Assessment methods and criteria
The exam consists of :
- short paper on an agreed subject, to be given to the teacher at least one week before the oral exam;
- oral exam: questions are of 3 kinds:
- test of reading, translation and linguistic analysis of a text chosen from
- test on linguistical competence;
- test on the literary and historical context.
The 4 parts will equally concur to the final note (in 30 scale);
it is necessary to have a satisfactory note (18/30) in each set.
The student is immediately told of his note.
A pass (18-23/30) is
determined by the student’s possession of the basic
contents of the course; middle-range scores (24-27/30) corresponds to
good level of knowledge and to che ability in making links and
apply it to problem solving;
higher scores (from 28/30 to 30/30 cum laude) correspond to developed
abilities and competence in translating, making links among different languages and
NB: all students, above all non attending ones, are recommended to attend to some exams to check and improve their study.
Those who never passed a Philology Romance exam in the first cycle are invited to contact the teacher