Foundations and regulations for the professional biologist
Learning outcomes of the course unit
At the end of the educational activities, the student should have acquired theoretical knowledge and basic practice which should be applied in order to work as a biologist, while cementing the founding laws of his own profession, the ethical code and the productive sectors that represent the profes-sional fields of applications. These abilities will be acquired through showing slides show, case histo-ry and their discussion oriented to their application in the scientific and professional field.
In particular, the student should be able to:
D1. Knowledge and comprehension ability
To learn autonomously, depending on the field of interest, the technical rules and laws that regulate professional activities and their application.
To also understand and know principal concepts and application methods of the system of quality’s insurance and control in the professional field and in the environmental management, labs, food se-curity, dietetics’ sector and workplace safety.
D2 Capacity to apply knowledge and comprehension
The student should develop the ability to interpret contents, aims and tools to be used in order to ap-ply correctly technical rules and laws useful to the profession of Biologist.
• should be able to understand the mechanism of continuous improvement of quality systems applying Deming’s cycle and thus evaluate and assess the importance of the aspect profes-sionally most relevant.
• should develop the ability to examine productive activities in a multidisciplinary point of view applying his/her own knowledge in various sectors of professional activity through the re-search of data, laws and protocols.
D3. Judgment autonomy
The student should be able to evaluate and interpret the available data and documents inherent pro-fessional activities’ fields, discerning the pertinent and coherent ones from analyzed facts.
The student should judge his/her own activities and the ones expected in quality systems in order to evaluate the result and enhance performances.
The student should be able to evaluate also the update modalities of his/her own knowledge to keep up his/her technic and scientific competences.
D4. Communicational skills
The student should acquire exposition tools that should allow the creation of operative procedures and quality manuals coherent to technical standard and laws useful to manage application fields, while making them operator-friendly and available.
D5. Learning skills
The student should be able to find, evaluate and select data sources and analyze contents accord-ing to the activities that will be managed, while coordinating the modality with which they are pro-grammed, organized and realized.
• should be constantly updated both in accordance with “Continuous Education in Medicine” indications, for those who will choose to work in health field, and for the effects of the evolu-tion of technical rules and laws in force, thus keeping a high professional competence.
• should participate actively as a learner in his/her own process of professional update and contribute to the update of his/her colleagues and operators in his/her activity fields through making available his/her own knowledge and expertise that he/she have learnt.
Basic knowledge of processes of scientific investigation and of the research and study activities to be applied to the production world.
Course contents summary
The first part of the course will give essential elements of Biologist’s profession and its expression fields.
The second part will refer to technical rules and laws that regulate various professional activities fields.
the third part will present the sectors within which these professional activities are used, plus some past case studies and explicative models about the activity to be done.
Introduction to professional activities and competence fields of the biologist referring to production sectors where they can be applied, starting from the Institutive Law, the Ethical Code and the rele-vant technical rules and laws for professional activities.
Teaching and educational/learning processes
From the knowledge of the Biologist’s sectors of jurisdiction to all the professional activities, defined by the laws and their limits, and the technical rules that govern aims, objectives and application mo-dalities.
Principal theories of learning (brief introduction)
Starting from institutive laws, the main sectors within the Biologist could operate as a pro, both as an employee and in autonomy as a manager or consultant, are presented.
Organization (ISO, UNI, EN) and contents of the technical rules, application models of quality sys-tems’ control, insurance and management will be presented with a methodological approach.
Models and schemes will be provided in order to be adopted for the projection and redaction of technical documents (operational procedures, flux diagrams’ schemes and analysis checklists of the phases to be managed, etc.).
An approach to analysis criteria for operative phases will be introduced with the analysis of the risks and of the activities to be done in order to ensure the correct management (evaluation, communica-tion and management of the risk with introduction to preventive and corrective maneuvers).
The sectors of application will be presented along with proper laws and technical rules actually in force:
- UNI EN ISO 9001 referring to basic concepts about quality management systems
- UNI EN ISO 17025 referring to quality in analysis and test labs
- UNI EN ISO 14001 referring to environment management and principles of continuous im-provement
- Self-control systems finalized to ensure food healthiness and security, and applicable tech-nical rules UNI EN ISO 22000, BRC and IFS
- Application of rule UNI EN ISO 18001 about security in work environment and biohazard risk
- Principles and laws of biological agriculture and Certification Authorities
- Professional activity in nutritional field and definition/management of diet and energetic needs of human, animals and plants. Interaction and difference with other professional fig-ures.
Applicative technics of the laws and technical rules in force will be acquired through developing of both standard and personalized models, showed from explicative case histories with their own ex-ams and critic evaluation.
To consent the acquisition of exposing system that permits the realization of educational projects for operators in activity sectors of the Biologist.
Learning material will be provided/indicated by the lecturer during the course.
Lecture: participative expositive/interactive method with slides show, laws and technical rules’ anal-ysis and their interpretation/application, plus a guided view of application models.
Active educational techniques: presentation of situations and examples of professional activity, case history with interaction, brainstorming, debriefing, etc.
Use of documents, metadata, multimedia research.
Assessment methods and criteria
The examination of the achievement of learning objectives will be conducted through a continuous activity of debate with students, interaction with the lecturer through requests of clarification and in-fo about Biologist’s professional activities, on ethical, theoretical and practical ambit.
The final exam will be written.
The test will last 1 hour, it will be composed of 15 close questions concerning possible professional activities of the Biologist and their peculiarities.
Four (4) open questions will be added to closed ones, concerning the application or characteristics of fundamental mechanisms present in the various sectors of professional activity of the Biologist.
It is required to answer correctly to the 80% or more of the close questions and to answer all the 4 open questions.