SPORT AND CARDIOLOGIC PATHOLOGY
Learning outcomes of the course unit
During the course the student will know the cardiac diseases and the risk factors for these diseases. The student will know the causes of sudden death in athletes.
To know the anatomy of the heart and the circulation. To know the
Course contents summary
Risk factors for cardiovascular diseases. Arterial Hypertension.
Cardiovascular stratification for cardiovascular risk. Primary prevention
with physical exercise. Principal cardiac diseases: coronary artery
disease, primary cardiomyopathies, hypetensive heart disease. Sudden
Death in athletes. Diagnostic tests in cardiology: exercise stress test,
echocardiography, cardiac MNR, computed tomography, cardiac
catheterization and coronary angiography. Cardiopulmonary resuscitation.
1. Cardiovascular physiology. Hemodynamic parameters. The heart murmurs
2. Heart diseases: ischemic heart disease, cardiomyopathies, valvular heart disease.
3. Diagnostic tests in Cardiology (ECG, etc.).
4. Cardiovascular risk factors: smoking, hypertension, dyslipidemia, diabetes ... Stratification of risk. European and Italian risk cards
5. Arterial hypertension Classification of risk
6. Primary Cardiovascular Prevention: Effects of Physical Exercise. Pharmacological interventions for the treatment of hypertension, dyslipidaemia, diabetes
7. Cardiovascular Adaptation to physical Exercise: Physiological and pathological cardiac hypertrophy
8. Sudden death in the athlete
9. Arrhythmias: Brugada syndrome, ventricular pre-excitation, long QT
1) Content of PDF lessons
2) Book "Argomenti di Medicina dello sport" Bonetti A., Editore MUP
Assessment methods and criteria
During the academic year one optional course will be offered:
" Cardiological evaluation in athlete "