Learning outcomes of the course unit
At the end of the training, students should have acquired knowledge and skills related to Industrial hygiene
(with special attention to physic- and chemical hazards)
Particularly, students should be able to:
1. know the basic of risk assessment mainly related to chemical agents in worker place;
2. Learn about prevention and protection systems with particular attention to protective equipment for Chemical Agents (PPE);
3. Know the meaning of environmental and biological monitoring;
4. Know chemicals hazard classification and labelling in accordance with EU legislation REACH and CLP
5. Understand the material safety data sheet (MSDS) and labelling
6. Know the implications related to the use of CMR chemical agents in working place.
Course contents summary
• Industrial hygiene
• EU chemicals legislation REACH and CLP
• Chemical Risk assessment
• Environmental and biological monitoring
• Personal protective equipment for Chemical Agents (PPE)
• Carcinogenic and mutagenic chemicals
• Industrial hygiene: general overview (meaning, chemical and physical hazards)
• EU chemicals legislation REACH and CLP: general overview, hazard classification, CLP pictograms, label and material safety data sheet
• Chemical Risk assessment and mathematical algorithms (es. Movarisch, Laborisch, Archimede, etc.)
• Environmental and biological monitoring: general overview, meaning, focus point, threshold limit value (e.i. DNEL, DMEL, TLV)
• Personal protective equipment for Chemical Agents (PPE): respirators and skin protection
• Carcinogenic, mutagenic chemicals: classifications (CLP and IARC), worker exposure and their registration
Slides, scripts and supporting materials will be provided to students at the end of the lessons. Slides are considered as an integral part of the teaching material.
Assessment methods and criteria
Students should be able to demonstrate how to manage occupational risk and how to use prevention and protection systems, with special attention to chemical agents.
Finally, they must demonstrate the ability to read and understand chemical risk communication (MSDS and labelling) according to EU legislation REACH and CLP.