COMPUTER SCIENCE - ADVANCED MODULE
Learning outcomes of the course unit
In the basic course the aim is to make the student understand the opportunities and limitations
of Information Technologies, in particular the re-elaboration of reality using the computer, with
the aggregation, analysis and interpretation of data.
This second advanced module is focused on the identification of appropriate strategies for
problem solving, ie the use of complex formulas for aggregating data, the usage of complex
statistics calculations and the search of information of interest. In particular, we will work on:
• Reprocessing capacity: use several tools at the same time and choose the most suitable
tool based on the data to be presented or analyzed.
• Logical flexibility: use of the mathematical logic, widely used in the study of company
data, to present estimates and final reports.
• Practical skills: the numerous examples, cases and exercises brought to class will allow
the student to know a composite and varied business reality, to use the functions of the
computer to solve more or less complex real problems, and to stimulate the search for
new and better solutions based on theoretical knowledge.
• base module
Course contents summary
• Utility software and application software: the spreadsheet.
• Overview of Database, ERP and CRM.
• Internet, email and cloud computing.
• Overview of security and data protection.
• Advanced features
◦ Nested functions (multiple functions in combination, eg if nested, etc.)
◦ Logical functions combined together (if, and, or)
◦ Date and time functions (create formulas for dates: today, now, month, year, ...)
◦ Search and reference functions (vlookup, etc.)
◦ Functions for error checking (if error)
• Conditional formatting
◦ Use automatic formatting for cells
◦ Basic and advanced
• Data lists
◦ Building data lists
◦ Use validation and control tools for data entered (data validation)
◦ Calculate the partial totals of tables (subtotals, sumifs, ifs, format as a table)
• Pivot tables
◦ Summarize a lot of information in an interactive data table using automatic
◦ Generate a pivot chart based on the summarized data.
Overview on Database, ERP and CRM
• Introduction to DataBases
• The main DMBS and their licenses
• Import, export and use of data
• Introduction to Enterprise Resource Planning
• Introduction to Customer Relationship Management
Internet, email and cloud computing
• Introduction to computer networks and the Internet
• Web 2.0, virtual communities and social networks
• Overview on E-commerce and SEO
• E-mail and certified mail
• Cloud computing
◦ IaaS, PaaS and SaaS
◦ The main services for the company
Overview on IT security and data protection
• Introduction to IT security
• Attacks (Malware, Social Engineering, ..)
• Countermeasures (Antivirus, Encryption, ..)
• Notes on the ISO 27001 standard
Assessment methods and criteria
Practical and theoretical examination on the whole program.
Moreover, the verification of learning can consider the support of ongoing tests during the
course, which will be individually evaluated and which will contribute to the final result.
The emails for the prof. must have the object [CLEM1819]