Learning outcomes of the course unit
Being able to deliver a presentation in English
Course contents summary
How to take the “INGLESE TECNICO” (“TECHNICAL ENGLISH”) examination
1) The examinee chooses a topic out of the ones available on the “INGLESE TECNICO” online site (cf. https://didattica.unipr.it/enrol/index.php?id=2723 ). A topic is defined by an article or a collection of articles published on the international magazines “The Economist”, “IEEE Spectrum”, etc.
2) The chosen topic is communicated to the board of examiners (email to prof. Luca Consolini at firstname.lastname@example.org).
3) The student prepares a slide presentation (using Power Point or similar software) of circa 15 minutes on the chosen topic to be presented to the examiners on the day of the exam. The examinee expounds the facts and opinions of the article/s in English and is encouraged to integrate the presentation with further information and personal opinions. The presentation is followed by a brief discussion.
The following books (available at the Biblioteca Politecnica, University of Parma) may be helpful in preparing the presentation:
- Presentations in English: Find Your Voice as a Presenter [Paperback] Erica J. Williams (Author) Paperback: 74 pages Publisher: MacMillan Education, Limited (May 1, 2008) ISBN-10: 0230028780 ISBN-13: 978-0230028784
- English for Presentations (Express) (French Edition) [Paperback] Marion Grussendorf (Author) Paperback: 80 pages Publisher: Oxford University Press Elt (August 17, 2007) ISBN-10: 0194579360 ISBN-13: 978-0194579360
- English for Presentations at International Conferences [Paperback] Adrian Wallwork (Author) Paperback: 196 pages Publisher: Springer; 2010 edition (August 18, 2010) ISBN-10: 1441965904 ISBN-13: 978-1441965905
The exam is not associated to a course
Assessment methods and criteria
Presentation in English followed by a few questions.