GENETICS AND BIOTECHNOLOGY OF MICROORGANISMS
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The course aims to provide students with the knowledge and skills related to:
- the principles of microbial genetics and physiology, fundamental for biotechnological development in different fields of application (food, pharmaceutical, environmental);
- the tools available to modify and/or condition the behavior of micro-organisms in order to facilitate their use in biotechnological processes;
- the principles of large-scale fermentative technologies and the main biotechnological productions.
At the end of the course the student should be able to apply the acquired knowledge to understand strategies of use of bacteria as "cell factories".
Basic knowledge of genetics, microbiology and biochemistry
Course contents summary
The course aims to investigate some issues that for reasons of space can not be treated in the course of basic Genetics, in particular those related to some specific topics on the genetic organization of various types of microorganisms of industrial interest. The principles of genetic improvement and the basic concepts of microbial biotechnological applications will be discussed.
- MOLECULAR GENETICS OF MICRORGANISMS
- CHARACTERISTICS OF MICRORGANISMS OF BIOTECHNOLOGICAL INTEREST.
- GENETIC IMPROVEMENT: MUTAGENESIS AND SELECTION
- FERMENTATIVE PROCESSES
- THE PRODUCTION OF COMMERCIAL PRODUCTS: ETHANOL, ORGANIC ACIDS, AMINOACIDS, ANTIBIOTICS.
Donadio e Marino “Biotecnologie microbiche” Casa Editrice ambrosiana; Manzoni M.”Microbioloogia Industriale” Casa Editrice ambrosiana; Binelli e Ghisotti "Genetica" EdiSES. Review and articles that will be indicated during the course.
The course will consist of lectures on the specific topics of the program, with the aid of of power point presentations. On the Elly platform the teaching material used in class will be made available to students;nevertheless it is recommended the use of texts for the deepening and study. A visit to a company to explore the topic of industrial fermentation technology is planned
Assessment methods and criteria
The examination, written, aims to verify if the student has achieved the objectives of the course through 6 open questions on the program each evaluated up to 5 points. Specifically will be evaluated: the specific knowledge of the topics, the level of detail and the possession of the appropriate language.