The aim of the course is to make the student familiar with the fundamental tools of Calculus, in view mainly of the applications to data processing and interpretation.
Course contents summary
The course focuses on the main topics of Calculus and on the fundamental concepts of Real Analysis in one variable (limits, derivatives, qualitative studies of the graph of a function, integration...)
Propositions and elementary Logic
The sets N, Z, Q, R and C and their properties.
Polynomials, equations, systems.
defintion, properties, graphic, elementary functions and their graphics.
Logarithmic and exponential functions.
Limits of function and continuous functions.
Derivative of a function. Differential calculus.
- Angelo Guerraggio, Matematica per le Scienze, Pearson (with electronic platform for exercises Mymathlab)
- Roberto D'Ercole, Matematica per i precorsi, Pearson Education.
- Giuseppe De Marco, Analisi Zero, Decibel–Zanichelli.
- M. Abate, Matematica e Statistica (3rd edition), McGraw-Hill.
- P. Marcellini, C. Sbordone, Elementi di Calcolo, Liguori.
5 hours Lectures and 3 hours exercises per week
Assessment methods and criteria
The final (written) exam is aiming at verifying the ability to use a formal language and to correctly solve exercises