DESIGN OF STRUCTURES 1
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Knowledge and understanding:
At the end of the course the student will learn the theoretical bases and the fundamental methodologies for the design and verification of r.c. floors and for the comprehension of the static behavior of some widespread typologies of r.c. structures
Applying knowledge and understanding:
The student should acquire all those skills which are the basis of a conscious design and will be able in a systematic way to fit within the building process.
The student will govern the procedure adopted in the current design practice, with a constant link between the theoretical knowledge and the practical applications.
The confidence gained through a constant connection between theoretical knowledge and applications, will allow the student to possess the necessary skills for results presentation
The student will be able to design the structural elements treated during the lessons.
The courses of Statics, Structural mechanics, and Structural Engineering are helpful.
Course contents summary
The course aims to provide the fundamentals for the structural design under static loads of wood or reinforced concrete diaphragms. The contents of the course are listed below:
1. Actions on buildings: permanent and variable loads, combination of actions
2. Design criteria for horizontal diaphragms, and for link structures, in particular:
- Characterization of the most used structural materials: concrete, steel, wood.
- Construction techniques of diaphragms: floors in reinforced concrete, steel, or wood.
- Reinforced concrete floors: dimensioning, structural details, design and verifications.
- Wooden floors: typologies, dimensioning, design and verifications.
- Timber roofs: typologies, dimensioning, design and verifications.
- Stairs: structural schemes, dimensioning, design and verifications.
- Piazza M., Tomasi R., Modena R., "Strutture in legno", Hoepli.
- Cosenza E., Manfredi G., Pecce M., "Strutture in cemento armato - Le basi della progettazione", Hoepli.
All the teaching material is available via the portal “elly.dia.unipr.it"
The course is composed of traditional frontal lectures, also with Powerpoint presentations.
Theoretical concepts are applied during the course by carrying out the step-by-step design of the analysed elements.
Assessment methods and criteria
The examination is written and consists in the calculation reports concerning one of the strucutural elements analysed throughout the course ( r.c. floor, wooden floor or r.c. stair design).
As for all the laboratories, attending the courses is required.