GENERAL AND SPECIALIST PEDIATRICS
Learning outcomes of the course unit
This course will enable the student to know and understand the stages of physiological development in pediatric age and the tools for the prevention, diagnosis and therapy of the main pathologies of speech therapy interest.
Course contents summary
- Stages of development in children: from the newborn to the adolescent
- Principles of nutrition in healthy children and in children with chronic conditions
- Domestic accidents and airway disobstruction
- Obesity and nutritional disorders
- Vaccinations: truths and false myths
- Acute otitis media and mastoiditis
- Acute recurrent otitis media and otitis externa
- Recurrent respiratory infections
- Rhinosinusitis and allergic rhinitis
- Nasal obstruction and nasal wash
- Language delay
Principi N, Rubino A. Pediatria generale e specialistica. Casa Editrice Ambrosiana, 2017.
Slides provided by the teacher and uploaded to the Elly platform.
Frontal lessons with slides and audiovisual material.
Assessment methods and criteria
The student's knowledge, understanding and application skills will be assessed through a written test with 31 multiple choice questions with only one correct answer on the course topics. Passing the exam will be possible with at least 18 correct answers.
In January 2020 (on a date to be determined) at the Sim-Lab of the University of Parma, interested students will be offered the opportunity to participate in a free PBLS-D course (Pediatric Basic Life Support-Defibrillation) to learn on dummies cardiopulmonary resuscitation maneuvers in the child.