Learning outcomes of the course unit
1 descriptor Dublin: knowledge and understanding
know the definition of low vision and the main diseases that can cause low vision in adults and children
2 Dublin descriptor: knowledge and understanding applied
through the knowledge of the pathophysiology of individual disease entities, the student will have to define (a) the type of low vision resulting therefrom and (b) the type and level of functional disability
3 descriptor Dublin: Judgement
At the end of the course, the student will be able to plan a customized albeit basic rehabilitation strategy
4 descriptor Dublin: communication skills
the student should speak with the correct technical language
5 Dublin descriptor: ability to learn
the student will be able to understand the operating procedures of individual rehabilitation plans for the various types of functional handidcap
Course contents summary
The course is a continuation and completion of the course, and aims to make students aware of other diseases that possonocausare low vision in adults and children.
It also provides definitions of blindness, visual disability, disability support and shows the current Italian legislation inmateria.
The course also presents the rehabilitation program in low vision in children, with particular attention to the learning of reading and writing.
The course also focuses attention on the psychology of the subject visually impaired.
Finally, through the learning of visual and functional assessment of the person with low vision, particular attention is paid to the knowledge of the most modern electronic aids.
Other diseases that cause low vision: Coats disease, aneurismimiliaridiLeber, parafoveal telangiectasia, neurofibromatosidiVonRecklinghausen syndrome CharlesBonnet, sindromediLaurence-Moon-Biedl syndrome diUsher, malattiadiStargardt, malattiadi Best, Leber's amaurosis, retinoblastoma.
- Legislation: the civil recognition of disability, blindness and visual impairment evaluation
- Plasticity of the CNS
- Localization retinal preferential
- Low vision in children: visual rehabilitation in children aged 0 to 4 years and 4 to 6 years.
- Physiology of reading and writing
- Psychological problems in visually impaired
- New electronic aids
- Analysis of visual-functional low vision patient
General information on posturology: postural abnormalities as generators of ocular disabilities. Ocular disabilities as generators of postural abnormalities.
The visual functional parameters inducing altered postures:
contrast sensitivity, binocular vision and accommodation with variables associated with wrong head postures.
Postural alterations in near vision incorrect:
impact of inappropriate use of optical devices in emmetropic and ametropic.
Postural abnormalities due to altered ocular motility:
1. Physiopathology 2. Semeiotics 3. Differential diagnostics 4. Locoregional morbidity.
1. Interventional approach 2. Conservative approach.
The conservative approach in rehabilitation:
discussion of clinical cases.
General information on the re-education of the visual function.
Physiopathology of the abnormal and Semeiotic posture:
the binocular bases of postural abnormalities 1. Physical eye examination in postural abnormalities 1
principles of optical rehabilitation and factors capable of conditioning it (environmental, labor, socio-cultural).
Motor dominance in postural ocular abnormalities:
Physiopathology of torsion and cyclovertic duction movements and their impact on vision quality and posture.
Postural rehabilitation strategies in long-term muscle paralysis:
Follow chart and clinical cases.
- Colembrander, D. C. Fistcher: 'Oftalmologia clinica nel Nord America - Ipovisione e riabilitazione visiva', Verducu Editore
- Fondazione R. Hollman 'Sight First: l'intervento precoce nei bambini con deficit visivo ', Lions Club Verbania
- P. B. Freeman, Randal T. Jose: 'The art and practice of low vision',Buttersworth-Hainemann a division of Reed Publishing (USA) Inc.
- Organ Backman, Krister Inde: 'Riabilitazione visiva del paziente ipovedente', Fabiano Editore
- Luigi Luparelli: 'Ipovisione: i fondamenti e la pratica', Medical Books.
Lectures and practices. the practical part of the workshop will consist of low vision, in which it will be able to see the work studete riablitativi some systems (eg videoingranditori) and some instrumental diagnostic systems for the visually impaired
Assessment methods and criteria
Examination modalities of the integrated course