Learning outcomes of the course unit
The student should (1) know the most commonly prescribed laboratory analyses in clinical pathology, (2) understand their role in diagnostic procedures, follow up and therapy monitoring, (3) properly evaluate their cost/benefit ratio and (4) apply this information to relevant clinical examples.
Mandatory propedeutic examinations are defined by the Course Council.
Relevant bases of Biochemistry, Physiology, Immunology and General Pathology should be adequately recalled.
Course contents summary
- The laboratory in hematology.
- Laboratory evaluation of hemostasis.
- Clinical pathology of neoplasia
- Systemic parameters of inflammation and immunity
A) Clinical pathology in hematology:
- Complete blood count (CBC)
- Anemia (sideropenic, of chronic disease, aplastic; sideroblastic, B12 and folate deficiency; hemolytic)
- Disorders of white blood cells
- Disorders of iron metabolism
- Lymphoproliferative and myeloproliferative disorders
B) The laboratory in hemostasis:
- Bleeding disorders: alterations of primary and secondary hemostasis
- Thromboembolic disease and thrombophilia
- Monitoring of anticoagulant therapies
C) Inflammation and immunity:
- ESR and acuta phase proteins
- Complement, cytokines and chemokines
- Cellular immunity
- Autoimmune diseases
- IgE-mediated hypersensitivity
- Tumor markers: concepts and classification
- Selected examples of tumor markers tumorali
- Genetic markers
Antoniozzi, Gulletta (eds.) Medicina di laboratorio Logica & Patologia Clinica III ed., Piccin, Padova, 2019
M. Ciaccio, G. Lippi: Biochimica Clinica e Medicina di Laboratorio - EdiSes (ultima edizione)
The slides used during the lectures will be made available on the Elly Platform.
The course will be conducted through interactive lectures in front of the students, with the aid of illustrative material that, at the end of the course, will be made available to students on Elly site (https://elly2020.medicina.unipr.it/) at the pages of the course.
Lectures will be held on-site in compliance with safety standards, provided that further instructions on the ongoing health emergency are not implemented.
During the lessons we will discuss the issues related to laboratory tests and their interpretation topic will be exposed, encouraging students to ask questions on the basis of references that will be provided.
Assessment methods and criteria
No interim examination. During the oral examination of the Course of Laboratory Medicine, one of the questions will concern Clinical Pathology.
The student should consult the site of the Course of Laboratory Medicine for further information.