Learning outcomes of the course unit
The student should know the diagnostic and therapeutic approaches of neoplastic diseases. To achieve this objective the student should possess basic notions on the pathophysiology of the oncogenetic process. The knowledge of conventional and innovative diagnostic and therapeutic strategies is also required.
Course contents summary
The student should acquire the pathophysiology of the following forms of cancer: breast, lung, GI tract, kidney, prostate and ovary
-Molecular and cellular basis of cancer and its clinical impact
- The immune surveillance in cancer patient
- Pathogenetic and Clinical Aspects of Breast, Lung, Colorectal, Gastric, Prostate and Genitourinary Cancer
Clinical approach to cancer patients:
Setting the Diagnostic and Therapeutic Plan
- Interpretation of objective data and supporting laboratory and instrumental tests
- The student needs to know the clinical features and elements of the differential diagnosis of palpable or radiologically proven tumors
- The student should be able to interpret haematological indices and reports of the histological diagnosis of malignant disease to obtain the clinical staging
- The student needs to recognize the specificity and clinical relevance of symptoms related to cancer
- The student must know the clinical approach to cancer patient
- The student needs to know the methods of indexing the performance status
- The student should be observer of the diagnostic procedures such as needle aspiration or fine needle biopsies
- The student needs to know the principles of the following therapies:
chemotherapy, targeted therapis, radiotherapy, immunotherapya, suppoortive care
-Manuale di Oncologia Clinica, Bianco AM. Mac Grow Hill
-Oncologia Medica, Ciardiello, Idelson Gnocchi ED.
-Medicina Oncologica, Bonadonna et al...Elsevier-Masson
-DeVita, Hellman, and Rosenberg's. Cancer: Principles and Practice of Oncology
-Abeloff’s Clinical Oncology, Churchill-Livingston Elsevier
The course will be held through lectures to Students either in the classroom (“in presenza”) or in synchronous-streaming (“in telepresenza”) on the Teams platform. Therefore, the opportunity of Student/Teacher interaction will be preserved both face to face and remotely, by the simultaneous use of the Teams platform.
Lectures will be supported by slide presentations, which will be available to students on the Elly platform (https://elly2020.medicina.unipr.it/).
Assessment methods and criteria
In case of the persistence of the health emergency, the exams will be conducted remotely, as follows:
remote oral questions, through the Teams platform (guide http://selma.unipr.it/).
Students with SLD / BSE must first contact Le Eli-che: support for students with disabilities, D.S.A., B.E.S. (https://sea.unipr.it/it/servizi/le-eli-che-supporto-studenti-con-disabil...)