SOCIAL SECURITY LAW
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The purpose of the course is the achievement of the following formative aims:
- Developing the knowledge of Social Security;
- Achieving a wide capacity of comprehension of Welfare State;
- Being able to use her/his own knowledge in order to define the criteria to solve judicial claim;
- Achieving the basis knowledge for a theoretical – dogmatic analysis of Social security system necessary for the research and developing of didactic activity.Being able to read and interpret critically the topics discussed.Achieving the ability to express themselves with clear and correct vocabulary and demonstrate a good command of the technical-legal language related to the subject matter
For law students the examination of labor law is essential
Course contents summary
In this Course you will study the Italian legal framework of social security. You will analyse the rights to social security and social assistance in the light of the Italian Constitution. You will learn the most important institutes and forms of social security.
The idea of social security in the Italian Constitution and in the European Union Law
Sources of the social security system
The progressive realization of a social security system in ordinary legislation
The social security system: subjects, legal relationship, events protected, taxable base, contributions
Pensions: general system
Industrial accidents and occupation diseases
Social insurance for invalidity
Health care: the National Health Service, the sickness benefits for common diseases, parental leave
The social security system for the unemployed
Protection of employees in the events of the insolvency of their employer
Supplementary social security
M. Persiani – M. D’Onghia, Fondamenti di diritto della previdenza sociale, Giappichelli, Torino, 2016
The course consists of frontal lessons and practical-theoretical cutting exercises with active involvement of students.
During the didactic activity, the peculiarities of each institute will be point out and the general issues connected to their practical application and to trends case law will be discussed.During practical exercises, students, subdivided into working groups, will be guided in the analysis and discussion of case lawThe didactic material used during lessons and exercises (slides and judgments) will be uploaded on the elly platform weekly
Assessment methods and criteria
The final exam consists in a oral test based on rather three different questions in order to verify:
- The knowledge and the comprehension of the contests of the course;
- The knowledge of the doctrinal and case law matters;
- The capability of solving concrete cases.The use of an appropriate technical and legal languageSufficient will be achieved when the student has shown knowledge, understanding of the institutes and the ability to apply theoretical knowledge to concrete cases.For the only attending students there is a chance to take the exam through a written test in the manner that will be announced during the lessons.
This partial test will be carried out at the end of the educational period.Students who are not satisfied with the grade will be able to choose to complete the written test with an oral interview. The final vote will be determined by the weighted average of the votes.