INTERNSHIP 3 YEAR - INTERNATIONAL STRUCTURE
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The Degree Course in Midwifery is qualifying for the profession. At the end of the training course, in order to obtain the title of Midwife, the student must know how to carry out all the activities foreseen by the Professional Profile, in compliance with the Code of Ethics. The educational objectives are described in the art. 4 of Educational Regulations.
The training course is in agreement, for the expected results, with the criteria given by the Dublin descriptors.
The student must demonstrate to have acquired the ability to apply the knowledge and understanding necessary for planning, implementation and evaluation of assistance in the maternal-infant context and for the understanding of the educational processes aimed at the woman / couple and the community,
At the end of the 3rd year internship, the student must be able to use the corpus of theoretical knowledge of the Midwifery:
1) assistance models for women's health at various stages of reproductive life, with particular attention to physiological pregnancy.
2) to models of assistance at birth facilitating the self-determination of the woman / couple and the normal evolution of the physiological processes of pregnancy, childbirth, puerperium, adaptation of the new born and breastfeeding.
3) the dissemination of methods and techniques for the prevention of sexually transmitted infections, female cancers and family planning, necessary to identify useful strategies in order to promote an informed and responsible procreation.
4) to the care needs of newborns admitted to TIN and their families.
5) learn the clinical-assistance pathway in obstetric-gynecological surgical area, with particular attention to the prevention of the operative risk, to the management of the Operational Section and to the correct instrumentation of surgical interventions
The student must have attended all the traineeships, until reaching the CFU, foreseen and having passed the 2nd year internship exam. He must also have obtained positive assessments in all the training wards he attended.
Course contents summary
INTERNSHIP STUDENTS DOUBLE TITLE
The internship involves the development of increasingly complex and articulated competences on interventions of an intellectual, technical and scientific nature in the clinical, relational, educational and management fields, aimed at prevention, diagnosis, treatment, safeguarding and recovery of health in the obstetric and neonatal field also in urgent / emergency contexts, according to the principles of Midwifery. Through the frequency in complex U.O. (Neonatal Intensive Care, Pregnancy Pathology, Delivery Room, Operating Section) the student combines theoretical knowledge with practical activities, developing a critical thinking and acting. A period of attendance in the counseling centers and in the women's health centers makes it possible to consolidate the trainee's competence within the birth path.
The internship program is oriented towards carrying out the following self-help activities:
- Assist eutocical parties with their own responsibility, provide assistance to the newborn and mother in the post-partum.
- Provide obstetric assistance to the expectant mother, the mother and the puerperum in the different levels of intensity of care and in the different gestational periods.
- To manage the various welfare, diagnostic and therapeutic interventions aimed at protecting health in the preterm newborn or those with pathology, with particular attention to the promotion and support of breastfeeding.
- Participate in assisting parties in breech presentation or, in the absence of cases, having personally performed simulations with positive evaluation.
- Take an active part in the assistance of operational parts with obstetric or forceps application, in the absence of cases, having personally performed simulations with positive evaluation.
- Execution of obstetric ultrasound (eco office) to support traditional clinical semiotics.
- Perform the episiotomy, where indicated, with relative suturing or suturing of simple perineal lacerations (and in the absence of cases having personally performed simulations with positive evaluation).
- Participate in obstetric, gynecological surgical procedures and plan the care process.
- Plan and apply health prevention in the uro-gynecological and onco-gynecological field.
- Audiovisual material
- Notes / slides
- Costantini W., Calistri D., “Ostetrica” Vol. I-II-III Ed. Piccin, Padova 2013
- Spandrio R., Regalia A., Bestetti G. “Fisiologia della nascita. Dai prodromi al post partum”. Carrocci Faber. Roma, 2014
- Linee guida e protocolli
- Ragusa A., Crescini C., “Urgenze ed emergenze in sala parto” 2° Ed. Piccin, Padova 2017
Exercises in the classroom of simulation preparatory and consolidation to the learning of welfare practices in the field of obstetric-gynecological emergency / urgency.
Students will be supported, in a one-to-one relationship and for each place of training, by clinical tutors belonging to the same professional profile or to the same degree class, who will guide them in achieving the identified educational objectives.
Assessment methods and criteria
The internship exam consists of a practical test in which the student must demonstrate that he / she is able to perform correctly the simulated care practices on the material for the exercises (mannequins, surgical instruments, medical devices), contextually explaining the underlying rational.
The contents of the test concern the verification of the objectives described in the art. 4 of the Degree Program.
The final grade is the result of the overall evaluation of the practical test and the judgments expressed in the evaluation sheets of the internship which includes the general and specific objectives for each area and an initial and final evaluation grid, as well as a space for the notes on the progress of the learning path.