INTERNSHIP 1 YEAR - INTERNATIONAL STRUCTURE
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The student, during the placement of the second half, is led to observe the psycho-motor behavior of adult and elderly patients, pointing out its peculiar characteristics has learned in the theoretical and practical lessons.
In the second semester the student is guided to observe and implement all the skills relevant to the enforcement of the RX technical investigations and the use of equipment in Traditional Radiology.
The internship proposed route follows in the assessment of the skills acquired the criteria proposed by the Dublin Descriptors (1st, 2nd, 3rd).
Course contents summary
The training project calls for an initial period of orientation in which students become more familiar with the tools of radiology and in general with the hospital environment, through a follow-up activities. While, the second sentence provides for activities in emergency-urgent diagnostic, orthopedic, by contrast studies, surgical operating rooms, urological, orthopedic, examinations at the bedside diagnostics and dentistry.
- Learn the ability to observe the psycho-motor behavior of the adult patient and elder.
- Learn the basic knowledge to make the handling of the patients properly.
- Use correctly the Traditional Radiology equipment and be able to perform a radiological examination autonomously.
The apprenticeship route is according to the expected results, the criteria data from the Dublin descriptors.
The student does practical experience in the field, in affiliated internship locations with the University of Parma.
The internship is carried out in operational units that possess equipment to ionizing radiation of Radiology Traditional and Remote Controlled, to run RX osteoarticular examinations, chest, and abdominal exams contrastographic gastro-intestinal, uro-genital and hepato- biliary.
During the training period was entrusted to clinical tutor, belonging to the same professional profile, which later will evaluate the student the knowledge, the understanding and application, on the autonomy of judgment and communication skills (Dublin descriptors 1st, 2nd , 3rd, 4th).
The practical activity also refers to the Clinical Competence of the specific professional profile.
- Apprenticeship booklet, compiled by the student during the training period itself, as a practical manual
- Textbook: “Anatomia radiologica” of Fleckenstein P, Tranum-Jensen J.
- Jewett EL. One-piece angle nail for trochanteric fractures. J Bone J Surg, 1991;23:803-10
- Smith-Petersen MN, Cave EF, Van-Gorder GW. Intracapsular fractures of the neck of the femur-treatment by internal fixation. Arch Surg 1931;23:715-59.
- Laboratorio di Fisica Medica, Physics Department, UNICAL, Rende, Italy
- Textbook: “ANATOMIA RADIOLOGICA, tecniche e metodologie in radiodiagnostica” of Ferdinando Mazzuccato
- Textbook: “Atlante di tecnica radiologica generale e dello scheletro” of A. Trenta, A. Corinaldesi, P. Sassi, C. Pecunia
- Textbook. “ Le proiezioni radiografiche dell’apparato muscoloscheletrico” of U. Albissini, M. Battaglia
- “Ruolo del TSRM in un comparto operatorio ortopedico”, thesis of Dr. RT Giuseppe Forciniti, University of Parma
- “La radiologia domiciliare”, thesis of Dr. RT Bruno Lorefice, University of Parma
- Web site https://www.imagegently.it
Periods of training at facilities including the following specialties: Conventional Radiology and surgery room.
Students will be supervised by a Clinical Tutor for each seat internship.
Assessment methods and criteria
The student is evaluated on these skills:
- patient assessment
- mobilization of the patient, or movement of a subject from the bed / stretcher / wheelchair to the radiological bed and vice versa or from one posture
- technical examination of bones and joints, chest, abdominal and gastro-intestinal, urogenital and hepatobiliary
- knowledge of the equipment to ionizing radiation in Traditional Radiology
- knowledge of the physics of ionizing radiation and interaction with matter
- knowledge of the contrast media used for the execution of contrast studies to RX
The placement exam is administered in diagnostic emergency-urgency, in which the student must:
- perform an X-ray examination in total autonomy, according to a prescription from the emergency room.
- carry out the X-ray examination of any anatomic region, with and without contrast medium
- discuss the correctness and physical criteria which is the basis of this radiogram
- know the appropriate camera exposure data and be able to discuss the dose saving in line with Legislative Decree 187/2000.
The review shall take into account in the evaluation of acquired skills, the 2nd, 3rd, 4th descriptor Dublin.