BUDGETING AND FINANCIAL COMMUNICATION
Learning outcomes of the course unit
a. Knowledge and understandings:
The course aims to develop the critical reading of the financial statements prepared both according to the International Financial Reporting Standards (IAS/IFRS) and to the national accounting principles, so as the consolidated financial statements. After the course, the student will be in the position to extract many information on the company by reclassifying the elements of the financial statements, by computing some essential indexes and by critical reading of the information contained in the notes. He will be in the position to identify if the entity operates in a financial equilibrium or not and other risk elements. Furthermore, the student will use some financial figures as elements for the valuation of the company. Finally, he will be able to identify main information differences between financial statements prepared according to the International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS), financial statements prepared according to Italian accounting principles and consolidated financial statements.
b. Application of the knowledge: the course will require to the student to connect many subjects developing his professional skeptical approach.
c. Independent valuation: at the end of the course, the student should be in the position to perform a critical analysis of an entity by analyzing its financial statements and related documents, essential activity in many businesses.
d. Communication skills: the contents of the course will be communicate using advanced teaching methods, exercises and cases and by an active role of the student during the lessons.
The aim of the course is to develop the International Financial Reporting Standard
for Financial Reportin for listed companies.
a. Knowledge and understanding: with this course the student takes skills about the
financial reporting and consolidated financial statement process of comunication in
b. Applying knowledge and understanding: the student, at the end of the course,
would be able to use with efficacy the International Financial Reporting Standard
(IFRS) both the theoretical framework and the most important implementation techniques.
c. Making judgments: the student would be able to use the discretionary
interpretation of International Financial Reporting Standard coherently with the aim
of financial reporting.
d. Communication skills: the student would be able to relate with all the stakeholder
about the faithful representation of financial situation and performaces of the
e. Ability to learn: the contents of the course can be communicate with advanced
teaching methods, exercises and cases, and an active role of the student during the
Course contents summary
The course will cover the following topics:
1. Scope and object of the financial statements analysis
2. Financial statements analysis by the reclassification of their captions
3. Financial statements analysis by the computation of indexes
4. Financial statements analysis by the critical reading of the notes and documents related to the financial statements
5. The analysis of the financial statements prepared according to the IFRS and main differences with respect the financial statements prepared according to Italian principles
6. The analysis of the consolidated financial statements and informative differences with respect to the stand alone financial statements
7. The use of the financial statements figures and information for the valuation of a company
IL CONCEPTUAL FRAMEWORK
2. IL FAIR VALUE
3. UNDERLYING ASSUMPTION
4. THE COMPOSITION OF FINANCIAL REPORTING
5. TANGIBLE AND INTANGIBLE ASSETS
6. IMPAIRMENT TEST
7. FINANCIAL INSTRUMENTS
9. PROVISION AND DEBTS
10. BENEFITS FOR EMPLOYEE
12. FOREIGN CURRENCY OPERATIONS
13. INCOME TAXES
14. BUSINESS COMBINATIONS
15. CONSOLIDATED FINANCIAL STATEMENTS AND SEPARATE FINANCIAL
16. INTERESTS IN OTHER ENTITIES AND DISCLOSURE
17. RELATED PARTIES OPERATIONS.
Claudio Teodori, Analisi di bilancio, Torino - Giappichelli, 2017
Material provided by the teacher.
AA.VV., Principi contabili internazionali: caratteristiche, struttura e contenuto,
Torino, Giappichelli, 2013.
Material given by teacher.
Traditional lessons and group activities
Traditional lessons and exercises
Assessment methods and criteria
Written exam through:
WRITTEN EXAM WITH: