URBAN PLANNING AND DESIGN STUDIO
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The Studio aims to provide theoretical and practical tools for the critical analysis of recent urban transformations. Intends in particular to provide advanced knowledge about the main methods of planning and technical knowledge for the methodological approach of the plan and the development plan.
(KNOWLEDGE AND UNDERSTANDING - APPLYING KNOWLEDGE AND UNDERSTANDING).
The information obtained, especially the project experience, will allow the student to develop specific communication skills and further learning on the issues of urban planning and design.
(MAKING JUDGEMENTS - COMMUNICATION SKILL – LEARNING SKILLS).
The information obtained, especially the project experience, will allow the student to develop specific communication skills and further learning on the issues of urban planning and design
Course contents summary
Contents include the following main topics and general topics, each of which is divided into an ordered group of lessons:
1. Introduction to urban planning
Definitions according to different lines of interpretation and disciplinary perspectives. The contribution of specialist fields: geography and urban economics, sociology, urban history, urbanism 'disciplinary'. Main characters, i.e. economic motives, morphology, organization, planning, of contemporary urban development. The geography and economy of urban space, the system infrastructure, production, residence, commerce, management, service. Scope and contents of following disciplines: urban or urban design, spatial planning, town planning, urban geography, economic planning;
2. The organization of the city
The organization of the city. Functional specialization and zoning. Urban areas and units. The qualification of public space and the urban plan of unity. Commercial functions and urban animation. Synergies and conflicts. Shopping centers and peripheral urban settlements.
3. Theories of urban planning: the relationship between urban planning and the protection and enhancement of the landscape, agricultural structures and traditional rural settlements. The project of urban green spaces.
4. Techniques of urban design
Under the theme of urban design were held the following more specific topics:
- The project in context of parts of the city: the storage, retrieval and conversion of historic districts, the project of self-sufficient residential neighborhoods, the project of new production facilities and new infrastructure.
- The relationship between urban planning and the protection and enhancement of the landscape, agricultural structures and traditional rural settlements.
- The structures of mobility and urban design. Practice the design of public spaces. Functional classification of roads. Features of the road. Public transport and urban road network.
See also information provided by single teaching modules.
Course Slides (available on the course’s website 'ELLY').
- Paul Claval, LA LOGIQUE DES VILLES, ESSAI D'URBANOLOGIE, Litec, Paris 1981
- Paolo Ventura (editor), THE FUTURE OF THE CITY, proceedings of the First International Cost Conference held in Florence on 2-3/11/1998, OPOCE, Bruxelles, 2001, pp. 192, ISBN 92-829-0520-9
- ENCICLOPEDIA DELL'ARCHITETTURA GARZANTI, Garzanti editore SpA, 1996 ad vocem: urbanistica , p. 901
- Robert Cowan, THE DICTIONARY OF URBANISM, Streetwise Press, Tisbury, UK, 2005
- AA.VV., L'Atlas des Utopies, suppl. Le Monde hors-série - Sociéte éditrice du Monde SA, Paris 2012
THEORIES OF URBAN PLANNING VERSUS ARCHITECTURE
- F'ssel, Prof. Dr. Stephan (CUR.), BRAUN HOGENBERG CITIES OF THE WORLD, Historisches Museum Frankfurt, Taschen
- Peter Geoffrey Hall, CITIES OF TOMORROW: An Intellectual History of Urban Planning and Design in the Twentieth Century, 1998, III ed., Blackwell Publishers, ISBN: 0631232524
- AA.VV., I FUTURI DELLA CITT'. TESI A CONFRONTO, Franco Angeli, 1999
- AA.VV. (Bernd Evers et al.),
TEORIE DELL'ARCHITETTURA, Taschen, Koeln, 2003.
- Maria Cristina Gibelli (cur.) LA CONTRORIFORMA URBANISTICA. Critica al disegno di legge Principi in materia di governo e territorio (approvato dalla Camera dei Deputati il 28 Giugno 2005), Alinea Editrice, Firenze, 2005
- Paolo Ventura, Quale raccordo tra pianificazione urbanistica nazionale e regionale
- Raymond Unwin, TOWN PLANNING IN PRACTICE, 1909, ed. it. LA PRATICA DELLA PROGETTAZIONE URBANA, il Saggiatore 1971 e 1995.
- Kevin Lynch, A THEORY OF GOOD CITY FORM, The MIT Press, Cambridge, Massachussetts, 1981, ed. it. PROGETTARE LA CITT'. LA QUALIT' DELLA FORMA URBANA, Gruppo editoriale Fabbri, Bompagni, Sonzogno, Etas SpA ,
- Jean Castex, Jean Charles Depaule, Philippe Panerai, FORMES URBAINES: DE L'ILOT A LA BARRE, Paris, Dunod 1980, trad. it. Philippe Panerai, L'ISOLATO URBANO, CLUP, Milano 1981
- David Mangin, Philippe Panerai, PROJET URBAIN, 'ditions Parenthèses, Marseille, 1999
- Augusto Mercandino, URBANISTICA TECNICA, Manuale per le indagini, le proiezioni, la diagnosi e il progetto, Il Sole 24 ore, 2001, Milano ISBN 88-324-4345-7.
- Paolo Colarossi Anton Pietro Latini (cur.), LA PROGETTAZIONE URBANA. PRINCIPI E STORIE, Il Sole 24ORE SpA, Milano, 2007, ISBN 13 978-88-324-6842-7, 3voll.
- Pierre Merlin, LES VILLES NOUVELLES. URBANISME REGIONAL ET AMENAGEMENT, Presses Universitaires de France, 1969, trad. it. LE CITTA' NUOVE, Laterza, Bari 1971.
- Claude Chaline, LES VILLES NOUVELLES DANS LE MONDE, Presses Universitaires de France, Paris, 1985.
TEMI E STRUMENTI DI PROGETTAZIONE URBANISTICA
- Institute of Transportation Engineers, RESIDENTIAL STREET DESIGN AND TRAFFIC CONTROL, Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey (USA) 1989, ed. it. Gian Paolo Corda (cur.), DISEGNO DI STRADE URBANE E CONTROLLO DEL TRAFFICO, Hoepli, Milano 1993.
- Gian Franco Di Pietro, UN PROGETTO PER FIRENZE, Ponte alle Grazie, Firenze 1990.
- Dominique Gauzin-M'ller, L'ARCHITECTURE 'COLOGIQUE, Le Moniteur, Paris capitolo: Urbanisme et développement durable.
- Paolo Ventura, CITTA' E STAZIONE FERROVIARIA, Firenze University Press, II ed. Edifir, 2005, ISBN 88-7970-216-5, pp. 112 con scritto introduttivo di Antonio Acuto
- Pietro Giorgieri, Paolo Ventura, STRADA STRADE, Edifir, Firenze, 2007, con introduzione di Gian Franco Di Pietro
See also www.urbanistica.unipr.it and bibliography provided by single teaching modules
The course is organized as follows:
- Introductory lectures on the main topics;
- Monographic research on new town and neighborough case studies;
- In-depth lessons;
- Public discussion and coordination of student project step by step.
The workshop includes seminars with external lecturers from other universities, as well as meetings and exchanges with other sections and courses of the Workshop of Urban Planning and Design at the University of Parma.
Assessment methods and criteria
Drawing up of an urban project with details of the types of buildings, public spaces, green structure and roads.
Oral exam held by a committee made up of all the teachers of the workshop