INTERNSHIP I YEAR
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Students will have to acquire and apply the theoretical and practical basic general care competences and midwives, according to the principles of Midwifery.
In particular, at the end of the first year of internship, the student will be able to:
- Establish a relationship with the woman, while respecting privacy and considering the specific psycho-emotional characteristics of that context;
- Describe, in general terms, purpose, structure and organization of the Service headquarters of the apprenticeship;
- Identify the specific needs of users;
- Recognizing the specific functions of the midwife in relation to the other professional figures, from the point of view of teamwork;
- Carrying out the professional activities planned under the guidance of the clinical tutor;
- Assess the results of provided assistance
Attendance at lectures and workshops
Course contents summary
Internship provides students the possibility to apply the knowledge learned in the classroom. During the internship the student must learn and apply:
1. The rules of behavior in the care field
2. The approach to patients based on active listening, respect, privacy,
3. The basics of physiological pregnancy care.
4. Nursing and midwifery assistance.
The content of the apprenticeship in the Delivery Room is only observational.
Basic nursing care:
The relationship with patients, users and team;
Respect for basic hygiene standards for the prevention of hospital infections (ICPA);
Care of the patient's hygiene;
Vital signs survey methods and procedures;
Performing electrocardiogram; Administration and storage of drugs;
Preparation and execution of blood collections;
Application and management of peripheral venous catheters;
Monitoring urinary function and collecting urine samples;
Performing biological buffers;
The bladder catheterization;
Prevent and treat bedsores.
In obstetric field:
- understanding the objectives of basic obstetric care
- measuring Bottom Symphysis lenght
- Execution of Leopold maneuvers
- Fetal Heart rate Auscultation
- Use of the cardiotocography
Audiovisual material - Notes/slides
Costantini W., Calistri D., “Midwife” Vol. I-II-III Ed. Piccin, Padova 2013.
- Albinelli. P., L’infermiere tra teoria e prassi. Un manuale per la didattica di laboratorio clinico Athena, Modena 2008.
Preparatory and consolidation exercises to learn basic care practices: workshops with simulations on mannequin and with medical devices, viewing of instructional videos.
Training periods in locations affiliated with the University of Parma.
Students will be assisted, for each place of training, by clinical tutors, belonging to the same job or the same graduating class, who will guide them in the achievement of the identified objectives.
Assessment methods and criteria
The student is evaluated by the clinical tutor, at the end of each training period through an evaluation board about comprehension and application, about the autonomy of judgement and communication skills.
The document includes the general and specific objectives for each area and an initial and final evaluation grid, as well as a space for annotations on the learning path.
The exam of the internship course consists of a practical test with the use of materials and medical devices and simulations on mannequins.
The final vote is the result of a comprehensive assessment of the practical test and of the opinions expressed in the evaluation grid of the internship.