HISTORY OF CONTEMPORARY ART (WITH WOKSHOP)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The course intends:
- presenting to students fundamental chronological reference points and main methodological approaches, in order to introduce them to independent study of main trends of art and artists from Neoclassicism to today, throught textbook and indicated bibliography, as well as seeing and studying the artworks on display at CSAC
- focusing specifc topics and experiences of artistic Italian panorama in the second half of Twentieth-century, where the collaborations and the exchanges between artists and workers for other cultural, science and productive fields; an interdisciplinary approach will allow comparing different methods and sources, analysing of the historical and cultural backgroud and getting the tools for a critical and philological research
- focusing on communication value of visual arts in second half of XX Century
- focusing on documentary on art, both studying it as a tools for the critical analysis and by a workshop, in orther to get knowledges, applying knowledge and skills to be used in productive fields
According to Dublin Descriptors, the course intends to get:
. knowledge and understanding History of Art from Neoclassicism to today
. knowledge and understanding cultural historic, social, political and ecnomics reasons and involvements of art
. knowledge and understanding topics concerning workhop
. applying knowledge and understanding got working on artworks, starting from seeing and studying them in museums, collections and exhibitions
. applying knowledge in indentifying artists and artworks, as well as considering them within a chronological approach (synchronic and diachronic study)
. making judgements analysing data, informations and sources through a philological and critical approach
. communication skills to present knowledge, ideas, problems and solutions based on valid and right methods
. learning skills and self evaluation of own knowledge and skills
Course contents summary
CONTEMPORARY ART HISTORY
I Part (36 h)
TEACHING UNIT A: Introduction to the History of Contemporary Art
Starting points and topics on History of Contemporary Art, focusing on
. chronology and different typologies of art works from Neoclassicism to today
. interdisciplinary exchange in second half of XX Century
. comunicative value of visual arts in second half of XX Century.
II Part (36 h)
TEACHING UNIT B: Workshop: documentary on art
Starting points on the topic of documentary on art and Workshop with documentarist
1. – Topics of the lessons in teaching unit A, B.
To help the study, a wide selection of projected images will be available after the end of the lessons on Elly online platform.
2. – Really good knowledge and understanding of main artists and most important developments of art from Neoclassicism to today (architecture included).
Studying one textbook of History of Art for Secondary School is suggested; choosing among:
- C. Bertelli, G. Briganti, A. Giuliano, Storia dell’arte italiana, vol. IV, Milano, Electa-Bruno Mondadori, 2009;
- P. De Vecchi, R. Cerchiari, Arte nel tempo, vol. III, Milano, Bompiani (edizione originale integrale), 2003;
- G. Bora, G. Fiaccadori, A. Negri, A. Nova, I luoghi dell'arte. Storia opere percorsi, voll. V-VI, Electa-Bruno Mondadori, Milano, 2003 (or voll. IV-V della nuova edizione Electa Scuola, 2010.)
3. – Seeing and really good knowledge of contemporary art works (architecture, design, graphics, fashion, photography included) showed at CSAC, Abbazia di Valserena, Parma.
4. – topics of the lessons in teaching unit B.
5. – Specific bibliography about TEACHING UNIT A will be communicated an the beginning of the lessons.
6. – Specific bibliography about TEACHING UNIT B will be communicated an the beginning of the lessons.
Attending lessons is strongly suggested and workshop is part of evaluation too. Students not take part to the lessons, have to replace the point 1 of the program with 1 book in a list that will be communicated at the beginning of the lessons and will be published in Elly online platform; and they have to replace the point 4 of the program with the book M. Bertozzi, Storia del documentario italiano, Marsilio, Venezia 2008
Different strategies and methods teaching:
- frontal lesson (by different approachs: analysis of single artworks, philological and archives paper-based analysis, studying historical, social and political background.)
- guide tour in museums
- meeting with expert from different fields
Assessment methods and criteria
Verbal examination on the subjects of study programm.
Different kinds of questions and inquiries will evalute the level of learnig from students, according to Dublin Descriptors:
These will be avaluted:
- knowledge and understanding main trends and artists of History of Art from Neoclassicism to today
- applying knowledge and understanding in order to assert own arguments and idea about topics of the course and in order to solve historical and critical problems or pratical one too.
- making judgements analysing data, informations and sources about art from Neoclassicism to today through valid and appropriate approaches
- communication skills to present and assert knowledge, ideas and solutions during and oral examination
- learning skills and self evaluation of own educational in order to impprove his own knowledge and skills