ITALIAN PHILOLOGY AND ROMANZA
Learning outcomes of the course unit
By the end of the two parts, students will be able to study texts in a philological context.
Applying knowledge and understanding:
Students will be able to:
- read a critical edition, analyse apparatuses and variants
- evaluate the history of tradition of a literary work of
any kind, linking it to other features of literary
- students will be able to describe, analyze, discuss the genesis and developement of a literary work through its redactions, variants, history of transmission.
- students will be able to read the manuscripts (from medieval manuscripts to contemporary autographs) and the old printed
edition; he will be able to understand mechanism of textual digital production. Direct access to texts will allow students to develop his own judgements (not through second hand sources).
Direct access to texts will allow students to further develop and create their own reading and searching paths, both for PhD and working researches.
Students must have a good knowledge of Italian
Literary history, history of Italian language,
fundamentas features of romance philology
Course contents summary
The course aims to a philological approch to
romance and italian literature through the sudy of
the genesis and textual transmission of a work.
Analysis can change due to different kinds of literary
works, but some fundamental principles are:
- study in textual transmission and history of
- analysis of variants and author's variants
- seminar works on sources (manuscrit and printed)
- basics of digital philology
See the corresponding fields in each part.
Front lesson and seminars. See corresconding
section of each part
Assessment methods and criteria
The exam is written and oral. See each part for
The final mark is the average of the two parts
Attendance is strongly recommended. Students who are unable to attend must contact the professors.
Exam dates: as published calendar