ACADEMIC YEAR: 2017/2018
YEAR OF STUDY: 4
SEMESTER: Second semester
NUMBER OF CREDITS: 3
CONTACT HOURS: 24
INDIVIDUAL WORK HOURS: 51
At the end of the course the students should demonstrate to understand the issues related to the production of recombinant proteins. In particular, the students should be able to:
1) describe the processes of expression and purification of a recombinant protein (KNOWLEDGE AND UNDERSTANDING)
2) use basic on-line programs for sequence analysis (KNOWLEDGE AND UNDERSTANDING)
3) describe techniques, tools and protocols for the main methods of recombinant protein production (KNOWLEDGE AND UNDERSTANDING)
4) understand the main issues in the production of recombinant proteins (APPLYING KNOWLEDGE AND UNDERSTANDING)
5) apply the knowledge on recombinant proteins production to real problems, in the lab or during a simulation (APPLYING KNOWLEDGE AND UNDERSTANDING)
Basic knowledge of biochemistry and biology.
Production of recombinant proteins for basic research and for therapeutic applications.
Overview of different expression systems.
Methods for the production of recombinant proteins (gene identification and optimization of the coding sequence; PCR; cloning and analysis of recombinant clones; cultivation of bacteria; inducible expression in bacteria; expression analysis and improvement; protein extraction and purification).
A copy of the slides and of protocols used in the practicals can be downloaded from the Elly website.
Metodologie Biochimiche - Bonaccorsi di Patti, Contestabile e Di Salvo. Casa Editrice Ambrosiana, 1a edizione.
Biotecnologie Molecolari- Terry A. Brown. Zanichelli, 1a edizione.
Lectures will deal with the principles of recombinant protein production and their application in different fields, especially the pharmaceutical field. Practicals will stimulate the active acquisition of the basic knowledge on recombinant protein production.
During the oral exam a method/protocol used during practicals will be discussed. The students, who will have access to their copy of the protocols and the notes during the exam, should demonstrate the understanding of the method and the ability to analyze the results of the experiments critically. The students might be required to comment experimental results from their notes.