Learning outcomes of the course unit
The goal of the course is to give to the student the basic knowledge about innovation, in all its different application areas: product, service, process, etc. and make him/her able to apply the major tools and techniques.
Course contents summary
Culture, methodologies and tools and techniques for innovation, adopting a cross-disciplinary approach.
Subiect areas are:
- the idea of innovation, definitions, the major innovation models, push/pull approach,
- fundamentals for innovation: Stakeholders Management; Requirements Managements,
- New Product Development, methodologies for new product design and industrialization, Stage&Gate method,
- Project Management - base: the idea of project , definitions, nature, introduction to tha PMI and to the PMBOK® model; project, programme, portfolio, projects vs operations, constraints and assumptions, project and organizational model, Project Lifecycle, Project vs Product; project initiation: the project charter, the contract, roles and responsibilities; project closure: knowledge management, lesson learned; Scope Management, Time Management, Cost Management
- Project Management - advanced: the customer and his requirements, Business Analysis fundamentals, elicitation process, the WBS (Work Breakdown Structure), Rolling Wave planning; time management: Network diagram, Gantt e Milestone; project monitoring and control, the EVM – Earned Value Management mehod; the limits of planning; Extreme Project Management, VUCA environment (hints).
- Agile PM (hints)
- Project Portfolio Management, strategy delivered, the PPM processes: Screening, Selection, Implementation, Evaluation; PPM and organizational scenarios
- Enterprise Risk Management: risk based thinking, definitions, grammar, approach to uncertainty; Project Risk Management: Risk Identification, facilitated focus group, Delphi tecnique; Risk Analysis e Risk Evaluation: PxI matrix; risk (threat) response planning: Avoidance, Transference, Mitigation, Acceptance; contingency management, at project, program, portfolio level; risk as opportunity: Exploitation, Sharing, Enhancement, Acceptance.
- Team management tools:
• Tuckman Cycle, team building
• Conflict management and problem solving
Slides are published by the professor on the portal (covering all the spectrum needed or exam preparation).Optional references:PMBOK – Project Management Body of Knowledge – VIIth edition PMIS. Setti – Il Linguaggio del Progetto – Franco Angeli
- frontal lessons with powerpoint slides support
- interactive analysis of practical case studies
- some tools are presented in a visual way (sticks)
Assessment methods and criteria
The exam is combining a personal written test (a test of about 30 questions, with close answers), giving the 60% of the final score, and a short report (thesis), to deeply explore one of the subjects of the program, chosen by the student according to his preference, that can optionally be developed in groups (2 persons), giving the remaining 40% of the final score.