GENERAL SOCIOLOGY (HEALTH)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The course aims to introduce and address the issue of social and cultural interpretation of the disease and treatment (the conceptual difference but also the overlap between disease, illness, sickness) and replace the experience of illness in the human and relational dimension to herself, the social system reference and meanings.
The program is carried out using references to stimulate critical reflection and discussion on the meanings attributed to concepts.
Course contents summary
1) Introduction to the sociology of health.
2) Health and disease.
3) Definition of disease, illness, sickness nowadays. Model of chronic disease as social reinterpretation of the disease
4) Social roles of the patient and the care provider
5) Psychosociology of heart disease
6) The spread of heart disease and the impact on employment
7) The social psychology of the patient with coronary artery disease
8) The social psychology of the patient with chronic heart failure.
Maturo A (Antonio), Sociologia della malattia. Un'introduzione, Salute e Società, Franco Angeli ed, Milano 2010 (1° ristampa)
pp. 208, 1a ristampa 2010, 1a edizione 2007 (Codice editore 1341.1.13)
Codice ISBN: 9788846490261
Assessment methods and criteria