STEEL AND WOOD CONSTRUCTIONS
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Knowledge and understanding:
At the end of the course the student will learn the theoretical bases for the analysis and the design of steel structures subjected to static load and for the design of wooden floors. The student will learn the main steel products, the methodologies for steel mechanical and chemical characterization and how to dimension and verify steel frames. as well the basic behavior of the wood material.
Applying knowledge and understanding:
The student will be able to design one or multi-storey steel buildings according to Italian and European codes as well as to design wooden floors. The student will be able to design the main steel structural typologies both against strength and against stability. The student will know how to design welded and bolted connections between steel elements.
The student will be able to give technical judgments concerning the structural arrangement of steel building, giving details about the structural elements, the roof organization and the best arrangement for vertical resistant elements, so to achieve a good behavior against vertical and horizontal forces.
The confidence gained through a constant connection between theoretical knowledge and applications, will allow the student to possess the necessary skills to afford other topics, such as the sismic design of steel structures(which is treated in another academic course) and the analysis of more complex structures, such as bridges or skyscraper. The approach to the design of structures made of wood panels (XLAM) will be also possible.
The frequence of "Reinforced Concrete Structures" course is helpful.
Course contents summary
The course deals with the fundamental topics concerning structural analysis of steel structures and with the basic design of structural elements made of wood. More in details, with regard to steel structures design, the course deals with:
- Historical introduction concerning steel structures. Comparisons with the behavior of reinforced concrete structures.
- Structural steel: material properties, ductility, fracture toughness. Quality and laboratory controls. Design values of material coefficients; imperfections: basis, imperfection for global analysis of frames, imperfection for analysis of bracing systems, member imperfections.
- Steel classification. Steel products.
-. Structural Systems: kinematics, stability, space behaviour. Multi-storey and single-storey buildings. Structural stability of frame. Frame classifications. Global analysis: effects of deformed geometry of the structure. Geometrical non-linearity. Methods of analyses considering material non-linearities: elasic, plastic, elasto-plastic global analysis.
- Basic of design: principle of limit state design, critical considerations concerning the allowable stress method.
- Serviceability limit states for buildings. Vertical deflections, horizontal deflection.
- Ultimate limit states: resistance of cross-section. Classifications of cross-sections.Tension, compression, bending moment, shear, bending and shear, bending and axial force, bending, shear and axial force.
- Buckling resistance of members: uniform members in compression, in bending, in bending and axial compression.
- Welded connections: technology of welds. Strength of welded joints. Calculation methods.
- Connections made with bolts: technology of bolts. Strength of bolted joints. Calculation methods.
- Uniform built-up compression members: laced compression members, battened compression members, closely spaced built-up members.
With regard to wood structures design, thecourse aims to provide:
- Characterization of wood material;
- Construction techniques of floors made of wood elements;
- Wooden floors: typologies, dimensioning, design and verifications.
- Timber roofs: typologies, dimensioning, design and verifications.
- G. Ballio, F.M. Mazzolani, Strutture in acciaio, Hoepli, 1987, (disponibile Biblioteca Ingegneria e Architettura).
- C. Bernuzzi, F.M. Mazzolani, Edifici in acciaio, Hoepli, 2007 (disponibile Biblioteca Ingegneria e Architettura).
- N. Scibilia, Progetto di strutture in acciaio, Dario Flaccovio Editore, 2010.
- V. Nunziata, Teoria e pratica delle strutture in acciaio, Dario Flaccovio Editore, 2011.
- A. De Marco, R. Landolfo, W. Salvatore, Acciai strutturali, prodotti e sistemi di unione, Fondazione Promozione Acciaio, 2007.
- A. Dall'Asta, R. Landolfo, W. Salvatore, Edifici monopiano in acciaio ad uso industriale, Dario Flaccovio Editore, 2009.
- Piazza M., Tomasi R., Modena R., "Strutture in legno", Hoepli, 2005.
All the teaching material is available via the portal: “elly.dicatea.unipr.it".
The course is composed of traditional frontal lectures, also with Powerpoint presentations.
In addition to the lectures, practical applications with design examples of structural elements will be illustrated.
Assessment methods and criteria
The examination is based on a comprehensive written test over the theoretical and practical contents of the course.
20% theoretical question concerning steel structures
50% practical question concerning steel structures design
30% practical question concerning wood structures design