OBSTETRIC-GYNECOLOGICAL NURSING SCIENCES
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The course of Nursing and Obstetric Sciences is part of the integrated course "Surgical Medical and interdisciplinary Sciences of obstetric and gynecological interest and obstetric sciences".
The course aims to enable the student to know and understand the complexity of an operating segment, the importance of the behavior of the operators, surgical techniques, instrumentation and anesthetic techniques, even in order to provide to the student the ability to use the knowledge and understanding gained to prevent risks to patients and operators, to ensure proper assistance to the gynecological surgeon and anesthetist during surgery and provide appropriate assistance to operande and operated, as well as collaborate in the management of risk.
to receive requests from To be able couples entering the MAP processes, in accordance with different cultural and religious requests.
To accompany the couples in the processes and support them in difficulties, facing both positive and negatives outcomes.
To know Italian legislation governing MAP center’s activities on national territory.
To know the evolution of the legislation concerning heterologus fertilization.
To know fertility conservation’s possibility in patient suffering from neoplasm.
Acquire ability to recognize evidences and symptoms of possible complications related to ovarian stimulation and oocyte pick up(?) treatments.
Spread knowledge concerning gender medicine.
Course contents summary
The first lessons cover topics of general nature concerning the structure of the industry operating from the point of view of prevention risk of hospital infections, biohazard, fire and explosion risk from anesthetic gases. The equipment are illustrated, such as: anesthesia machine, electrosurgery, surgical bed, as well as the plant (air conditioning, electrical system). It is examined the content of the basket for anesthesia.
In the second part of the course is analyzed the evolution of anesthetic techniques, scientific and socio-cultural changes that have resulted. Then protocols and procedures for the preparation of an operating room are analyzed, also in analogy to what can happen in the delivery room in case of emergency .
The third part is dedicated to providing the basic elements regarding general anesthesia, minor general anesthesia in spontaneous breathing, the loco-regional anesthesia. Then surgical techniques for cesarean section are illustrated, hysterectomy and minor obstetric-gynecological surgery, as well as the technique of instrumentation and responsibilities of the instrumentalist.
Last theme is risk management in health care, where in addition to a part of general nature, instruments are analyzed , such as incident reporting form and the check list.
Human Infertility, Assisted Retroductive Technology
- Structure of the Fund Surgery. Elements of architecture, arrangement of space with regard to the prevention of infections. Plants (electric, gas supply, medical, conditioning). Prevention of fire and explosion risks. Paths of materials, staff, patients: prevention of infection. Prevention of biological risk and anesthetic gases. Importance of the behavior of operators. Notes on Law 626;
- Microclimate in the operating room. Equipment: electrosurgical (unipolar-bipolar) risk prevention. Bed operative: parts, accessories, operation, prevention of postural injury. Surgical lamp. anesthetic machine. Anesthetist Cart: relevance of behavior standardization and use of health facilities. Allergy to latex: material and latexfree health centers. Importance of proper behavior: examples;
- Evolution of surgical and anesthetic techniques. From general to loco-regional anesthesia. History, pre-operative and post-operative. Techniques in comparison with regard to advantages and disadvantages for the woman;
- Scientific and socio-cultural changes. Adjustment to loco-regional anesthesia and brief hospitalization; possibility to "feel sick" and the need to feel cared for. Reflections and discussion. Listening, welcoming, knowing how to facilitate communication. Knowing how to analyze the needs of women in post-operative. The myth of organization and listening and meeting the needs;
- Room service, preparation of the operating room. Similarities to the delivery room in case of need for anesthesia or respiratory assistance or need for resuscitation;
- General anesthesia;
- Loco-regional anesthesia. Short general anesthesia;
- Small obstetric interventions: curettage (internal abortion, actual, incomplete, post-partum, voluntary interruption of pregnancy). Cervical cerclage;
- Small gynecological interventions: examination of cavities, polypectomy, conization, hysteroscopy;
- Caesarean section;
- Risk management in health care.
Illustration of medically assisted procreation techniques.
The legislation that regulates the activity of PMA centers.
Counselling in fertitilty preservation in cancer patient.
Outline on Gender Medicine.
“ Infermiere strumentista” D. Scacchetti R. Lusuardi E. Amici Ed. Minerva Medica
Fulvia Signani –La salute su misura-Medicina di genere non è medicina delle donne- Este Edition
DECRETO 1° luglio 2015 .Gazzetta Ufficiale
Linee guida contenenti le indicazioni delle procedure e delle tecniche di procreazione medicalmente assistita.
Guidelines for counselling in infertility- Royal College of Obstetricia & Gynaecologists ESHRE
Conservazione della fertilità in pazienti Oncologici ed a rischio di infertilità iatrogena. Istituto Superiore di Sanità
The managment of Ovarian Hyperstimulation Syndrome Green top Guideline N.5
The lessons are divided into lectures, also supported by the projection of images, at the end of which workshops are planned with regard to the knowledge of surgical instruments pertaining to obstetrics and gynecology. In addition, the lectures will be complemented by an educational visit at an operating segment of new construction.
Frontal lessons and acquisitions in the field
Assessment methods and criteria
The student at the end of the course will have to demonstrate knowledge and understanding about:
- structure, plant and equipment of the operating room
- structural and behavioral strategies in the prevention of risks in the operating room
- procedures and protocols for collaboration in risk management
- surgical, anesthetic and instrumentation techniques of obstetric-gynecological pertinence
The student moreover, applying the knowledge and understanding acquired, will be able, also collaborating with other professionals, to be ready to acquire the practical skills of the opening of an operating room, anesthesiologist assistance, assistance to the gynecologist during interventions with particular attention to preventing risks.
Methods of Assessment
The assessment of the achievement of the objectives of the course involves n oral examination.
Through questions regarding the course content, it will be determined if the student has achieved the goal of knowledge and understanding of the content.
The achievement of the learning objectives evaluated through an oral exam, about the contents covered. Questions on the topics related to the course content will be used to test the student’s knowledge and understanding in the field, and her/his ability to apply the knowledge and understanding in occupational contexts. Failed answer to one or more questions or proved insufficiency of the basic knowledge on the subject, will preclude the successful completion of the exam. Upon completion of the exam, you will define an evaluation that will contribute to the final grade of the course, based on the achievement of the objectives (excellent, good, fair, fully sufficient, barely sufficient).