In the course, elements of modern physics and structure af matter will be given. They are useful for the understanding of the diagnostic techniques employed in conservation science. Elements of measurements theory will be presented, aiming to the practical applications.
Basic physics and chemistry. Fundamental laws of mechanics and electro-magnetism. Basic notions on atoms and molecules.
Course contents summary
Measurement theory. Elements of modern physics. Fundamentals of structure of matter. Fundamental interactions.
The program coud be further adapted to the needs of the class.
1) Measurement theory (Errors, experimental data processing and display)
2) Elements of quantum mechanics (Energy quantization, De Broglie wavelength, Heisemberg uncertainity principle, Schroedinger equation)
3) Atoms (quantom model of hydrogen atom, Orbitals, Exclusion principle, quantum numbers, transitions, X absorption and emission)
4) Molecules and solids (molecular orbitals, vibrations, energy bands, molecular transitions, metals, semiconductors and insulators)
5) Nucleus (elementary particles, fundamental interactions, nuclear reactions and decays, radiation-matter interactions).
Classroom lectrues with multimedial presentations.