DISEASES OF THE VISUAL SYSTEM
LEARNING OUTCOMES OF THE COURSE UNIT
The course aims to train the student on the low vision problems, addressing the classification, the rehabilitation techniques, the main causes in children, adults, and elders. Completing the course, the student must know and be able to use the main auxiliary optic devices.
COURSE CONTENTS SUMMARY
Low vision: definition and classification.
· Rehabilitation: definition.
· Ocular diseases causing low vision in children: nystagmus, optic atrophy, congenital cataract, retinopathy of prematurely, congenital glaucoma, retinal degenerations.
· Ocular diseases causing low vision in adults: albinism, multiple sclerosis, optic atrophy, degenerative myopia.
· Ocular diseases causing low vision in elderly: diabetic retinopathy, age-related maculopathy.
· Magnification: definition.
· Auxiliary optic devices: lenses, optical telescope.
· Electronic devices: CCTV (black and white and colour portable video-magnification; electonic magnification, vocal synthesis.
A. Colembrander, D. C. Fistcher: "Oftalmologia clinica nel Nord America - Ipovisione e riabilitazione visiva", Verducu Editore;
Fondazione R. Hollman "Sight First: l'intervento precoce nei bambini con deficit visivo ", Lions Club Verbania;
P. B. Freeman, Randal T. Jose: "The art and practice of low vision", Buttersworth-Hainemann a division of Reed Publishing (USA) Inc.;
ASSESSMENT METHODS AND CRITERIA