DISEASES OF THE BLOOD (B)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The student should possess basic notions on the pathophysiology of the hematopoietic system and hematological disease.
The epidemiology and the clinic of hematological disease should be known.
The knowledge of conventional and innovative diagnostic and therapeutic strategies is also required. Moreover, the student should achieve the principles of stem cell therapy to treat hemato-oncologic diseases.
Course contents summary
Knowledge on hematopoietic pathophysiology and on the major hemathologic neoplastic and benign diseases
Pathophysiology of the hematopoietic system
Stem cells and bone marrow transplantation
The student should acquire the knowledge on the pathogenesis, diagnosis and clinical aspects of following conditions:
Anemias, thrombocytopenias, neutropenia;
Hodgkin and non-Hodgkin lymphoma,
chronic lymphocytic leukemia
Monoclonal gammopathies and Multiple Myeloma;
Bone marrow transplantation.
1. Corso di malattie del sangue, e degli organi emopoietici. Tura e Baccarani; Esculapio ed 2015, sesta edizione.
2. Hematology, Williams, 6th edition, Beutler et al Eds. Mc Graw Hill, 2001
3. Diagnostica delle malattie del sangue, testo-atlante di Larizza et al, Piccin ed, 1983;
4. Core Curriculum Ematologia, McGraw Hill ed, seconda ed, 2014
5. Ematologia per Medicina, Scienze Biologiche, Biotecnologie Mediche di N. Giuliani e A. Olivieri; Edizioni Idelson Gnocchi
During the lectures will be discussed the topics listed in the program
Assessment methods and criteria
The assessment of the achievement of the objectives provides an oral examination. Will be determined whether the student has achieved the knowledge and understanding of the content.
All the slides presented during the formal lesson will be available.