Learning outcomes of the course unit
The course aims to achieve the following goals, in line with the "Dublin descriptors":
1. To know the basic terminology of pedagogy and education, as well as the main concepts of social pedagogy and media education.
2.1. To critically analyze and elaborate the concepts studied, linking themes, authors and trends.
2.2. To connect theories to cases of educational work, analyzed and understood with the specific conceptual tools of the discipline.
4. To communicate in writing their thoughts on educational issues.
Course contents summary
The course systematically explores the issue of the educational needs expressed in social communities, especially those related to social inequality, to the cultural changes and today's polycentric structure of the education system. The second part of the course will be devoted to the educational needs raised by the media culture and the possibilities offered by the so called media education, even considering the historical development starting from film education. This evolution can be read in parallel to the one that, in the first part of the course, will be explained about the gradual establishment of the polycentric education system.
Students must prepare four books:
- S. Tramma, Pedagogia sociale, Milano, Guerini, 2010 (nuova edizione).
- C. Betti e C. Benelli (a cura di), Gli adolescenti fra reale e virtuale. Scuola, famiglia e relazioni sociali, Milano, Unicopli, 2012 [tutto, eccetto i capp. 3 e 9].
- D. Felini, Pedagogia dei media. Questioni, percorsi e sviluppi, Brescia, La Scuola, 2004 [tutto, eccetto i capp. 4 e 5].
- D. Felini (a cura di), Educare al cinema: le origini. Riflessioni ed esperienze di pedagogia dei media fino agli anni della contestazione, Milano, Guerini, 2015 [tutto, eccetto i capp. di Tizzi e Baruffi].
The program is the same for all students, also if they did not attend the lessons, from every degree program.
Lecture, group discussion.
Assessment methods and criteria
The final evaluation will take place through a written examination consisting of three open questions (there is no term evaluation).
The questions will concern the concepts of social pedagogy and media pedagogy, the connection between terms, concepts, theories, trends and authors, and the link between theories and typical situations of the out-of-school educational work, especially with adolescents and youngsters.
It is considered sufficient the examination which shows, with proper language and terminology, the understanding of the basic concepts. The appropriate reference to authors and trends, the connection or comparison between theories, and the application of theory to practice (and vice versa) are elements that concur to determine a grade above satisfactory.
The program of the exam, and the advised books, are the same for any students, regardless of the program in which (s)he is enrolled. Since January 2017, this is the only valid program; past programs are not valid anymore.
On the web portal Elly (http://elly.alef.unipr.it) the course community is available. Students are invited to enroll for being updated about this course.