The course will provide the basis for the study of digital systems. The
main techniques of synthesis of digital systems will be presented and the
architecture of most important programmable devices will be introduced.
In addition, the major issues of system configurations and the most
important application fields will be discussed.
Through laboratory experiences the student will be able to apply some of the concepts illustrated in the classroom lessons acquiring practical skills.
Elettronica I (recommended)
Course contents summary
Introduction to microelectronic Technologies
Semiconductor memories: architecture and functional blocks, read-only
memories, non-volatile memory, read-write memories
Implementation Strategies for Digital ICs
CPLD and FPGA Architecture
Laboratory exercises on microprocessor development boards
The manufacturing process: manufacturing CMOS Integrated Circuits (4h)
Implementation Strategies for Digital ICs (16h)
• Custom Circuit Design
• Cell-Based Design Methodology
• Macrocells, magacells and Intellectual Property
• Array Based Implementation Approaches
• Complex Programmable Logic Device: CPLD
• Field Programmable Gate Array: le FPGA
• The FPGA programmable interconnect points, evaluation of parasitics and of the RC delay
• Advanced FPGA
Microcontroller Architecture (12h)
• memory classification and organization
• memory architectures and building blocks
• ROM, EPROM, EEPROM, FLASH memories
• Microcontroller architecture
• the I/O ports, Counters and Timers, Serial Ports
DSP Architecture (4h)
PLC Architecture (2h)
Laboratory exercises (10h)
• simple exercise on a microprocessor board.
- J.M. Rabaey, A. Chandrakasan, B. Nikolic, "Digital Integrated Circuits, a
Design Perspective", Prentice Hall, second edition
- Paolo Spirito, “Elettronica digitale”, McGraw-Hill
traditional classroom lessons, laboratory experiences
Assessment methods and criteria
The student gets at least two questions on topics covered during the course. The exam is passed if a sufficient evaluation is achieved on both questions.
During the exam the student has to demonstrate to have mastered the basic principles of the architecture of digital systems, understanding strengths and weaknesses .
lucidi delle lezioni sono reperibili http://elly.dii.unipr.it/
Sul medesimo sito sono disponibili appunti del docente sulle tematiche non ricoperte dei lucidi. slides related to the course can be find: http://elly.dii.unipr.it/
On the same site notes of the professor on issues not covered in the slides are available