HISTORY OF PEDAGOGY
LEARNING OUTCOMES OF THE COURSE UNIT
Expected learning outcomes: knowledge of the proposed texts.
Knowledge and understanding: critical attitude, with the aid of human sciences and their interdisciplinary intersections.
Ability in applying knowledge and understanding: making use of the critical tools and historical insights acquired.
Making judgments: it is the overarching goal of the course, with particular reference to the acquisition of an awareness of historical distance and of the longue durée of the investigated phenomena.
Communication skills: acquisition of a language not necessarily technical, but able to distinguish and give an account of the characteristics of an educational texts from the past.
Learning skills: in proportion to the individual abilities.
COURSE CONTENTS SUMMARY
Enlightenment and his surroundings: 18th-century reflections on public education
- Condorcet, "Sull’istruzione pubblica", traduzione, introduzione e note di P. L. Previato, Canova 1956 (download from Elly)
- A. C. Grassi, "Istruzione ed educazione negli scritti giovanili di Condorcet [Réflexions et notes su l’éducation, 1773-1782]", Pellegrini 1996
- Selection from: Louis René de Caradeuc de la Chalotais, "Essai d’Education Nationale, ou plan d’études pour la jeunesse", 1763
(translations will be provided on Elly website; original text on Google Books).
- Gaetano Filangieri, "Scienza della legislazione", libro IV (Dell'Educazione), capitoli da 1 a 17 e cap. 34.
Download from Google Books:
AMERICAN EDUCATIONAL LIBERAL-ENLIGHTENED THOUGHT
- Selection of American educational texts (Elly);
- Short selection from Locke's "Thoughts on Education" (Elly); this is an additional reading for students who didn't study the text in the "Storia comparata dell'educazione" subject.
ASSESSMENT METHODS AND CRITERIA
Final assessment will consist of an interview in which the student has to show:
- The ability to set out clearly, with appropriate vocabulary, features, content and historical context of a pedagogical text. Special emphasis will be given to the logical and communicative skills;
- Knowledge of the historical background and the major philosophical and pedagogical elements of the proposed texts, by questions raised by the teacher in the context of the presentation offered by the student.
- The threshold of pass mark is defined by the presence of both parameters:
a. full reading of the proposed texts;
b. Implementation of a research / individual reflection on the text with the elaboration of individual proposals and criticism.
Selected passages from the texts will be read during the lessons, with comments aimed at highlighting the cultural context and the main decisions made by the authors. Through the comment and, when possible, the discussion with the students, critical skills and independence of judgment of the students will be trained.